Woodwork at rudder mounting

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Woodwork at rudder mounting

Postby bpbyrne » Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Folks, looking for some experiences with disassembly of the rudder gear and in particular the stuffing box mounting. (1970 grand banks 42 classic, hull otherwise surveys well, but then again survey missed this!)

I have badly degraded wood around the bolts where both the stuffing box and the support frame are attached to the wooden block that the rudder shafts come through.

I will be pulling and rebuilding and am looking for any guidance or experience y"all can offer.

Heres my plan and questions:

Support rudders from below

Undo top brace to get access to remove "collar" that i believe supports the weight of the rudder. I gather from other posts theres a through lin there, but can't get a good look there yet.

Unbolt and remove support frame this is the first question. I think I'm looking at long self tapping
Square head bolts. But perhaps they are through bolted. If so,.. Accessible from the bottom, or something terrible? Anyone know?

Undo stuffing box and remove it. For sure im looking at nuts on the top here, so through bolted from somewhere below. Anyone know what that setup is?

Clean off that wood surface, possibly removing some height. Use stop rot to petrify deep into the grain.

Use a high grade wood expoxy to repair whatever mess i have and to bond a suitable block of mahogany (any other wood suggestions?) in top.. Ideally about an inch and ahalf thick... Rudder shaft seems long enough to accommodate this.

This block will be screwed to the underlying repaired block creating a solid structure.

Reattach hardware and go boating.

Any thoughts or guidance?

Brian
bpbyrne

Re: Woodwork at rudder mounting

Postby Paul Headland » Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Just did some work on this last month.

The square heads holding the rudder tower will be screws. I use stainless. There are bolts through the tower & the heavy cross wood frame.

The four bolts holding the rudder tube go through the block & hull. They have round heads on the bottom with a bronze re-inforcing plate. See pic below. Just had the bolts out on my port rudder as a seam needed attention under this plate. Through hull bolts are bronze with round heads, i replaced mine as i had to hammer them out, they were tight.

One of the problems here is water over spills from the lazzerette drain channels drops down & pools on the block causing problems as you have discoved.

The collar holding the rudder has a bronze bolt through it & a lock bolt onto the shaft.

I didn't remove the tube assembly. There was no movement or leak so left alone, i think it would take some effort to remove.

Hope that helps, Paul

[attachment=0]15262433544220.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]15262434006600.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Headland
Supporting Member

Postby Paul Headland » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

By the way the rudder is **??** heavy!

If you do remove the rudder tube assembly I would like to hear how difficult it was.

The tube & plate inside the hull is a single bronze casting. Well built these boats were!
Paul Headland
Supporting Member

Postby bpbyrne » Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 pm

That is a huge help Paul, thank you.
Where the tube assembly sits on the block is a soggy mess for me, and i bet the holes all the way through around those bolts will need attention too.

The tube actually goes through the block all they way to the outside by the look of it?
bpbyrne

Postby Paul Headland » Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 am

Glad it helps.

Yes it does, that's the end of it in my first pic.

Let us know what you find is the best way to remove the tube.

The bearings in the tube were remade in our original refit in 1987, they are still perfect. In the top pic I have removed the lower one, it just slides out and has a lip to stop it disappearing up the tube. Be sure to remove this if you plan to wallop the tube to get it moving. It's the dark bit between the tube and rudder in my second pic.

Paul
Paul Headland
Supporting Member

Postby bpbyrne » Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Paul, one last question if you dont mind.. When you say the rudders are heavy, is that "bring a mate" heavy, or "go get the forklift" heavy? I may end up doing this myself and my ability to maneuver this stuffmay make the difference on me doing it versus a yard..

Cheers
Brian
bpbyrne

Postby Paul Headland » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Good question. It's a two person job. You only need a vehicle if you have to move far for maybe storage.

I thought it would be similar to a prop but its at least twice the weight if not more. I was unable to lift it by myself at all, luckily the folks at he yard in Cannes are very helpful (read younger & stronger).

Sorry for the delay, busy pulling trim rails & handles off for some painting work.
Paul
Paul Headland
Supporting Member