Flushing the Fresh Water Cooling System

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Flushing the Fresh Water Cooling System

Postby Berger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi All Has anybody flushed the fresh water cooling system on a Ford Lehman? I really want to flush just the block and expansion tank seeing that the heat exchangers are new and simple to clean out.
Berger
Supporting Member

Re: Flushing the Fresh Water Cooling System

Postby Charlie0 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:43 pm

I have never flushed a Lehman however I have flushed 100’s of others. Prestone coolant flush found in Walmart or any auto parts store should work fine. Follow the directions. See you tube video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i36pDzhFkBQ
Charlie0

Postby Windrode » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm really interessted as well. My antifreeze is quite rust- contaminated and flushing with water just won't clear it properly.
Are there any risks involved in using a coolant flush in an 40 year old engine (lehman 120)?
Windrode
Supporting Member

Postby Berger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 pm

I Flushed my system with Oxalik acid and vinegar and ran my engine for an hour, next I ran a mix of baking soda and water and ran that for 1/2 an hour then did two fresh water flushes. I never got any sludge but did get a lot of brown water.
Berger
Supporting Member

Postby Charlie0 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 am

I have flushed more than my share of engines Flush with Prestone coolant system flush. Available at Walmart or any auto store. Follow directions. Can leave in for an afternoon cruise than flush, rinse with fresh water, and refill with 50/50 coolant / water next day. Distilled water is better.
Charlie0

Postby 2Bucks » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Remember that if you refill with 50/50 you wind up with less than that optimal mix due to retain in the system. The water heater hoses/heat exchanger (if you're hooked up that way), the lowest parts of the engine block, the red dot heater (again if you have one), the Webasto heat exchanger (again IYHO) and any coolant that got trapped in the engine heat exchanger will all be plain water.

I like using antifreeze/coolant concentrate. The owners manual states a Lehan 120 holds 20 quarts (5 US gallons) of coolant. I can put 3 gallons in and then top off with water. This way I know I'm pretty close to 50/50 mixture, (I have all the accessories attached to my engine mentioned above) If I guessed wrong about how much retain my system has then I may be over the 50/50 mix, but that's not a bad thing. 60% antifreeze mix gives the highest boiling temperature and lowest freezing point possible.

So if I somehow have no coolant mix to top off with sometime down the line, a quart of plain water won't dilute my coolant too much.
2Bucks
Supporting Member