Turbulator

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Turbulator

Postby jglabrown » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 pm

It has been suggested that I install turbulators ("water mixer") after the risers in the wet exhaust system to help even out the water cooling in the hoses. (Cummins 6BT5.9M 210 hp) I'm wondering if installing these would actually increase back pressure enough to raise engine temperatures? These would be on 6" exhausts. Anyone have any ideas?
jglabrown
Supporting Member

Re: Turbulator

Postby Bella Grand » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm

I have done that -- actually had to place two of them in the exhaust after the riser/elbow; one at the top and one at the bottom of the short run before the elbow. It cured the problem of the elbow overheating and cracking. I did replace the hose with silicon high temp (the blue stuff) to further avoid any chance of a problem. The old hose had blistered big time

My 6B is 250HP. I am actually surprised you have a 6" on a 210, but then maybe i shouldn't be :-) The raw water pump is undersized, IMHO, and by the time the water got to the elbow it simply fell and flowed down -- no 'spray' to mix.

Now, temperatures at all engine speeds are even around the exhaust hose and within spec of the high temp fiberglass elbow on the downhill side. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I believe i posted a pdf of the project on the board here.. do a search and see if you can find it. If not I will try to dig it up and repost.
John Hammond
"Bella Grand"
'91 36-972 Sedan
Bella Grand
Supporting Member

Postby jglabrown » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am

John, thank you.
The boat came from Singapore with 4 1/2" hoses, even though Cummins says 5" is minimum for a wet exhaust. (6" has now been chosen because it's a more common size than 5"). The starboard hose finally ruptured last year, creating a very expensive mess. During cleanup, while replacing the port hose, we found considerable heat damage to an adjacent water line. Yikes!

Cummins has advised against a larger pump, believing that the engine's internal tubing is only designed for the pressure/flow of the original equipment. We're also trying to cover all bases by replacing or cleaning anything that impedes water flow, and hopefully, we'll sea-trial this week with turbulators installed.

Larry
jglabrown
Supporting Member

Postby Bella Grand » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:09 pm

Larry --
I found the brief write up I did sometime ago. See attachment.

I checked to see if the pump could be upgraded but the next larger one simply won't fit. Suffice it to say, i am stuck with the 15,000. sbmar.com is a great source of Cummins information as well.

Good Luck !
John
John Hammond

"Bella Grand"

'91 36-972 Sedan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bella Grand
Supporting Member