captains chair

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

captains chair

Postby Batistick » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:36 pm

The configuration of my 42 GB does not have a captains chair at the lower helm. I have been using a folding "directors chair" but over a long trip it gives very minimal back support. When I look at a Stidd chair but I won't pay that price, Any ideas where I can get a useful captains chair without mortgaging the house?
Batistick
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Batistick

I also have a GB 42, #139, and have solved the Captain's Chair problem.

My chair came from the bar at the Royal Papua Yacht Club in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. Mine was a gift when I left PNG but I have subsequently found out you can order one through the company's Australian office in Brisbane.

The chair comes dismantled with all the necessary fittings and tools to put it together (some assembly required).

The disassembled chair comes in a flat box of reasonable size and could be Fedex'ed or surface shipped. I have no idea about the cost but there are over a hundred of them in the RPYC so they can not be too expensive.

I have attached two pictures which gives an idea of the chair's size. Big enough to be comfortable but not take up all the available space in a GB 42. The chair also has enough shape to be comfortable over an entire day's steaming. The wood is locally known as kwila wood which is a local variation of teak grown in PNG. The company manufactures them in PNG from sustainable farmed teak but normally ships put of Australia

Information at http://www.mrkwila.com/lartar/barstoolw.html

Australian office at;

Mr Kwila Outdoor Furniture Pty. Ltd.
Analie Sinclair
PO BOX 118
Salisbury QLD 4107
66 Raynham St

Email: mr.kwila@iinet.net.au
Phone: (61-7) 3277 2166
Fax: (61-7) 3277 7938

I have been using this chair for about 8 years. I wipe it with Watco Teak Oil about once a year to keep the color. I also have two shorter copies (normal chair height) on the flying bridge.

Just an option with a little bit of a story behind it to make it interesting. It is not a Home Depot special!!

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:06 pm

The attached photo is of the best stand-alone helm chair I've ever seen. I took the shot during the 100 Year Anniversary Celebration of Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island a few years ago. Some of us went out on the Gikumi, the now retired whale watch boat, and this is her helm chair. The owner and captain of the boat and founder of Stubbs Island Whale Watching told me he'd found the chair in an antique store in La Conner, WA some years ago.

It's extremely well made and folds up nearly flat. We subsequently scoured the La Conner antique stores but to no avail (not surprisingly). We'll be up at Telegraph this spring and if the Gikumi is still there I may try to take detailed photos and measurements to have an identical chair made. It would be perfect for our GB in which we currently use a swiveling bar chair at the helm.
Marin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby gsanchez » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Just an idea to consider: how about some kind of leg extender that you can use with your current chairs:

http://www.amazon.com/Sammons-Preston-Furniture-Extenders/dp/B001EVYAAK

The above will give a 5" rise. which may or may not be enough.

Alternatively, a "home-made" platform for a current chair could also work.
Gilberto
gsanchez
Supporting Member

Postby relay_guy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:26 pm

relay_guy

Postby Marin Faure » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks much for posting the link, Pat.
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Pat-- Thanks again for posting the link to that chair. We've thought it would be perfect for our boat ever since we saw it on Gikumi a few years ago. But we figured we had no hope of ever finding one given that Gikumi's owner said he'd found it in an antique store in La Conner some years back and our own search of the stores there turned up nothing.

Thanks to your link we ordered one. I arrived yesterday and it will be perfect for our boat.

So thanks a bunch for cluing us in to where we could get one.

Cheers,

Marin
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Re: captains chair

Postby Imaginethat » Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 am

I've been on the hunt for something sturdier than the standard sideways collapsible directors chairs to use as a helm seat on my 36 classic. The Totally Bamboo model linked above looks perfect!

While poking around for more information, I found they have another model that is similar but has some curves to make it a little more graceful:
https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/totally-bamboo-folding-director-chair-with-cushion-tbm1002.html

The same place had the one from the amazon link above for a bit less $$:
https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/totally-bamboo-folding-director-chair-with-cushion-tbm1003.html
1974 GB 36 Classic #467 "Imagine That"
Bellingham, WA
Imaginethat