Small leak in hull - in the water repair

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Small leak in hull - in the water repair

Postby db27513 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello - Im a relatively new owner of a 1974 GB 36 Woodie. First thing I did upon ownership was replace all bilge pumps, switches etc, and added a bilge cycle counter. Through the winter months, bilge pump ran about 1 time a month. Started the engines a few days ago, and all of a sudden pumps running twice a day. Think I traced it to a leak in the hull where it joins the transom. I can wipe away the water, and a small trickle appears rather quickly.

Sooo, can I effect a temporary repair in the water? Do I dig out any interior soft wood, then add a seam patch? Am sure the wood will not dry while Im attempting this..

Am not too worried, but since it occurred so quickly, Im thinking it could get worse quickly.

Thoughts?

Captain Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC
db27513

Re: Small leak in hull - in the water repair

Postby GB42-267 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 am

As a temporary fix, get a small can of "Z-SPAR A-788 Splash Zone Epoxy". You can apply this on a wet as well as on a dry surface, it can even be applied under water. Your favorite marine store will mostly have it, or you can order it online. Just clean the surface for dirt, flaking paint and other debris and then mix up a batch and apply it where you see the leak. On your next haul out, remove it and fix the problem permanently.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby db27513 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks Bjorn - will give it a try.
db27513

Postby Rod Graff » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

We had a leak like that right where the chine block intersects the transom. It ended up being where the transom teak was over cut around the end of the chine block. When we were out of the water I dug out the old caulk, added a little cotton and filled with sikaflex 291. I tried to latch temporarily from the inside with epoxy putty, but it did not hold.
RUBY TUESDAY. GB-32-162
Rod Graff
Supporting Member