Simrad AP22 Connector source solved

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Simrad AP22 Connector source solved

Postby Cruising » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:36 pm

I purchased my GB42EU last year. It is equipped with a Simrad autopilot with AP22 control heads at both stations. I have a great respect for this autopilot and purchased a separate remote wired hand held control with the idea of connecting to the second connector on the rear of the AP22.
To accomplish this smartly I intended to pigtail from the 2nd parallel rear connector to a bulkhead connector on the bridge and pigtail from the lower helm AP22 to the right side of the lower helm wheel.
It was then I was informed by a variety of marine electronics repair facilities that one can’t get these connectors, especially the female contact. On EBay you can only purchase used cables or new “old” stock from some facility having old Simrad/ Robertson stock to sell. And the prices were outrageous!

As a retired connector guy I made it my mission to find these connectors. I recognized the pin pattern and simply could not accept the fact that they were not available. After six months: Success!
Amphenol-Tuchel Electronics is an independent company within Amphenol Corporation that offers a wide range of connectors including industrial, environmental, and DIN connectors. Tuchel Electonics is located in Germany & designed this connector. Amphenol purchased the company and merged it into Sine elec. They are presently located in Michigan. Their tech support is outstanding! These connectors are available and IN STOCK.
I could not attach the full catalog of these connectors (file too large)
Here’s a link through Mouser Electronics. I purchased all parts through them.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/18/C091-1063457.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruising