Call water return line question

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Re: Call water return line question

Postby eastlake » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm

OK, so I did what you said and that was actually a very smart idea, the return water was only slightly gray but the intercooler‘s were cleaned about a year and a half ago and the boat does not have that many hours on. Also, the lines that go back to the shaft , I inspected, although they are a bit corroded they seem to be tight. Is that shaft cooled strictly by that water and should I not have a small drip when I’m running. What should I be looking for when the boat is actually under way if I’m looking at the stuffing box?
Thanks,
Dave
eastlake

Postby eastlake » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Also, what is your recommendation for replacing the two original steel fuel tanks . I’ve got one on each side of the engine.
eastlake

Postby GB42-267 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:26 am

Yes, it will be water flowing to the shaft log seal area when the engine is running. Even if this flow is interrupted and the passage clogged, it will be water in the area around the seal/stuffing box but it will be quite stagnant since there is no flow of a fresh supply of water. I suggest you remove the hose and fitting at the shaft log at the next haul out and inspect it for any obstructions.
You can disconnect the hose while running, but expect a stream of water coming in when doing so (start the engine and do this at the dock). It will not be a huge amount since the opening is rather small and you can easily put your finger over the opening to stop it. You should have a steady stream of raw water coming from your hose while the engine is running.
I suggest to do a search in the older posts regarding fuel tank removals, it's several references since this has come up frequently over the years and has been covered from all angles. In short, arm yourself with a couple of dozens of carbide blades and a saws-all and plan on spending the next couple of weekends cutting them up. Then have someone build smaller stackable tanks, also covered in earlier posts.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby eastlake » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Am I basically looking to make sure I have a good steady flow of water from the hose coming from the engine and no obstructions from the fitting to the stuffing box
eastlake

Postby eastlake » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Where does the water from the hose to the stuffing box exit.
eastlake

Postby eastlake » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Also, I wanted to ask. On my bridge, I have a start and stop button but there is no main switch or stop solenoid switch. what is the best way to hook up these two switches on the bridge.
eastlake

Postby GB42-267 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:39 pm

The water finally gets flushed out from the shaft log and upper cutlass bearing.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby eastlake » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 am

Maybe you can help me with another question. I replaced the two fuel filters on the engine. If I only use one of the orings on top of the fuel filter, it will leak, however, if I use two of the Orings it seems to be fine but I think I might be pulling a little air. . Is that the proper procedure to use to the O-rings on top of that fuel filter. Engine is a Lehman 135. After I changed the fuel filters, I ran the boat for about one hour, cut it off for about one hour and then when I went to return, it would only run at idol no matter what position the throttle was in and it kept wanting to stop.
eastlake

Postby FrugalWife » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 pm

In the secondary filters there are two o-rings on each filter. They are also slightly different sizes. Smaller one goes on the bottom and the larger in the top. There is also a 3rd o-ring (quite small) that goes on the internal post hear the top .... gotta bend over & look up and will need something small (pick or screwdriver) to pick it off it’s bracket. All three should come with a new filter.
FrugalWife

Postby eastlake » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:34 pm

The wicks filters, came with three large O-rings then of course the two small ones. I’m just wondering why they came with the three large ones. I put the large O ring on the top and the small one on the bottom and I cannot get it to stop leaking fuel.
eastlake

Postby Charlie0 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Are you sure that you removed the old o rings? Wouldn’t be the first time.......just sayin :)
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby eastlake » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am

Not sure why, but the only way I can get it to stop leaking from the top, is to put two of the O-rings on the top. Never had this problem before with any Other oil filters or fuel filters
eastlake

Postby eastlake » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:50 am

I ordered two new fuel filters and I did notice where one seal is larger than the other one. However, with the old fuel filters, the boat run for about an hour and when I cut it off and waited for about an hour then when I restarted the boat it would run for about 20 minutes and stop running. I just noticed that there was no fuel in the fuel filter. Any idea what I might look for. I’m thinking that if I had the wrong seal maybe it might Sucking air.
eastlake