Reverse Polarity Indicated when using oven and stove-

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Reverse Polarity Indicated when using oven and stove-

Postby dcdunbar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:20 pm

I recently removed the original oven/stove combo off my 78 GB42 and replaced with a combination convection oven/microwave. The new unit works great when on shore power and dont have any reverse polarity. I even used a plugtester to check the circuit and it indicated that there are no faults with the circuit. When i run the generator the microwave doesnt even come on and I get a reverse polarity when I turn on the switch. When I check the circuit again, I get the that ground and neutral reversed?? all other circuits are fine. I plugged the oven into a an outlet with an extension cord and it works fine.

So... what do I check next. Pretty baffled on this one.

Thanks
Dave Dunbar
GB 42 589
dcdunbar
Supporting Member

Re: Reverse Polarity Indicated when using oven and stove-

Postby gsholz » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Is the oven/microwave on a 120V outlet? How was the previous oven wired?

The reverse polarity light will come on if it detects significant voltage between ground and neutral. Normally, ground and neutral are connected on shore and not on the boat. But when you run the generator, ground and neutral are connected on board when you switch from shore to generator (or inverter). Based on your description when you are on the generator, ground and neutral are not connected which is unsafe.

Could it be that you took the neutral from the shore side (before the selector switch) when you wired this outlet?
gsholz