Great Lakes GB Rendezvous

Postby John Gadow » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:08 pm

The Great Lakes Grand Banks Owners Association will hold its annual rendezvous from 27 July thru 30 July 2006 at Rogers City, Michigan, 45 miles southeast of Mackinac Straits in Lake Huron. This charming and historic community has excellent facilities and a wonderful spirit of hospitality. A full program of seminars and social events is planned, with a few surprises thrown in. Members of other GB associations are welcome. We typically attract 25 to 30 boats plus another 6 or 8 crews who come by land yacht due to distance. This year's event is at the eastern edge of our demographic (it's almost 400 miles from Chicago to Rogers City). For more information and registration/lodging details, send me an email.<P>John Gadow<BR>GB-42CL/974<BR>President, GLGBOA
John Gadow

Postby BlueChip » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:12 pm

John,<P>Even though the Rendezvous in Rogers City is the farthest east that a GLGBOA rendezvous has been held, I dont think that you want to give the impression that this is a western Great Lakes club. We have many members east of Rogers City including our Canadian brethren and those from the lower Great Lakes. I believe that we still have one member from Quebec City, which is 600 miles east as the crow flies or almost 1000 miles by road. Wishing you success in the upcoming rendezvous; we are unable to attend due to alternate plans for the summer. <BR><P>------------------<BR>Mike<BR>Blue Chip<BR>GB42CL 1163
BlueChip
Supporting Member

Postby John Gadow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:35 am

I certainly didn't intend to imply that GLGBOA is a "western Great Lakes" association. I was just stating a historical and demographic fact. Distances in the Great Lakes are major determinants for rendezvous sites. For example, Chicago to Toronto exceeds the distance from Miami to Norfolk. We value our Eastern GL members and hope to enroll more of them. We'd love to have enough members in Lakes Erie and Ontario so we could hold a rendezvous in those beautiful venues.<P>John Gadow<BR>President, GLGBOA
John Gadow

Rendezvous

Postby Del Banners » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:05 pm

As Grand Banks "owners-in-planning", my wife and I would enjoy attending a rendezvous in hopes of understanding our options a little bit better by talking with experienced owners. The Rogers City venue is an excellent one and well within our travel range but prior plans prevent our attendance.

So now I have been wondering how venues are selected for your annual event. Let me suggest that in the future you consider Traverse City, Michigan. As involved as you are, I am sure that you have visited TC in the past. You need to know, however, that this resort town has really improved recently and much more is underway.

At the south end of Grand Traverse Bay (West arm), the marina and all of its facilities have been completely rebuilt 2 years ago, including an additional breakwater that has expanded its capacity. The gigantic, old power plant eye-sore on the beach was removed last year. The vibrant downtown area (with the Boardman River running through it) is one block away - and it can be reached through a pedestrian tunnel under US31. Meeting accomodations are excellent, especially at the beautiful new Haggerty Center (2 blocks down the beach). Everything I can think of that may be needed for an enjoyable and successful rendezvous is withing a short walk from the marina, including very enjoyable lodging accomodation both on the beach and in town.

Given the large number of hardy retirees in this region, I have a feeling that there would be a strong turnout of people who would attend that are interested in the approach to life and leisure that trawler owners share and Grand Banks owners exemplify. But at the very least, you can count on two of us.

Del and Flo
Suttons Bay, Michigan

John Gadow wrote:The Great Lakes Grand Banks Owners Association will hold its annual rendezvous from 27 July thru 30 July 2006 at Rogers City, Michigan, 45 miles southeast of Mackinac Straits in Lake Huron. This charming and historic community has excellent facilities and a wonderful spirit of hospitality. A full program of seminars and social events is planned, with a few surprises thrown in. Members of other GB associations are welcome. We typically attract 25 to 30 boats plus another 6 or 8 crews who come by land yacht due to distance. This year's event is at the eastern edge of our demographic (it's almost 400 miles from Chicago to Rogers City). For more information and registration/lodging details, send me an email.<P>John Gadow<BR>GB-42CL/974<BR>President, GLGBOA
Del Banners
Supporting Member