Florida Owners Group??

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Re: I'm I too late to join?

Postby firstbase » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Time Pilot wrote:I'm I too late to join? Wow a few days earlier I could have been somebody important!

I have a 32 GB #531 in Jacksonville Beach Florida, but I live out of state.

Several positions still available Time Pilot! You own the boat and it is in Florida, that's all it takes to join. You can live anywhere you darn please. Welcome aboard! I have to tell you that it is a Probationary Membership until you get a pic of the boat in your profile. After that you will be a full blown member with all responsibilities, rights and privileges.
firstbase
Supporting Member

Florida Owners' Group?

Postby tomdove » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am

Impressive growth! Welcome aboard!
I'm in Annapolis for the summer and won't be back in Mount Dora (boat is now in Sanford) until November, but would like to meet some or all of you sometime this winter.
The current plan is to go back out the St. Johns river in November and haul out for painting and windlass installation, perhaps at Seven Seas in Daytona. Then, down the ICW to southwest FL and the Keys, perhaps to the Bahamas.
-- Tom Dove
tomdove

Postby firstbase » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Wife and I are both from Annapolis, grew up there back in the day when it was a sleepy small town. Mullmeisters Ice Cream and Chick and Ruth's Deli on Main Street and a school bus full of kids on a field trip to the Academy. Only tourists were older couples walking along the city dock looking at the crab boats. I used to be a Naval Academy Sailing Squadron member and taught the new Plebes to sail during their first summer there. Chick and Ruth's is still there but everything else is gone and replaced by Banana Republic, Nike, etc. Takes a $1M annual salary to do what we used to do free as kids. Oh well, I'm old I guess! Still claim Annapolis as "home" as you can see from our Hail Port. Hey, no law that it has to be where you live! We've moved so much over the years that it truly is our answer when people ask "Where are you from?". Lots of family still there too so we are frequent visitors....

Right now our boat is in Stuart but getting ready to move it to a new slip here in Jupiter. So you will pass right by on the way down the coast next spring so our first "group" meeting is planned! A small group but obviously quality members and I am sure we will gain more by then. :)
firstbase
Supporting Member

Florida Owners' Group

Postby tomdove » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm

I grew up on the south shore of the upper Severn (Millersville/Crownsville) in the 1950s, so we were contemporaries in the area. Annapolis was essentially my home town. On dates in high school years, we'd go to one of the three theaters in town (Circle, Capital or Playhouse). They turned off the traffic lights at 9pm, but there were only two in the whole town anyway, as I recall.

Developers wanted to knock down the entire old city in the 1960s but St. Clair Wright and her historical society put a stop to that. Thank goodness for them. That was actually the beginning of the national Historic District system.

Yep. Different time and place. It does look a lot better now and it's more prosperous. Kathy's an artist and is active in the Maryland Federation of Art on state circle, so we go downtown pretty often.
-- Tom Dove
tomdove

Postby firstbase » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:57 pm

I went to Millersville Elementary, actually lived in Severna Park but like you Annapolis was the town. You are right, it is prettier in some ways and certainly "re-gentrified in many places. Eastport? Wouldn't even drive over there back in the day. Now I'm not sure I'm allowed to drive over there! Annapolis Yacht Club burned down and Fawcetts Marine Supply on the dock moved. IS THERE NO GOD?!?!?! :) Learned to sail way up on the Severn. Blah blah blah. I think we may be boring the others with this. Oldtimers day I guess!
firstbase
Supporting Member

Re: Florida Owners Group??

Postby gerryhebear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Saw this string a little late.
I have a 42 GB Motor Yacht version in Pam Coast, Florida
gerryhebear

Postby firstbase » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:01 am

You aren't late. You just gave it much thought before joining our select group and we appreciate that. FGBOA is sort of a sleeper cell of IAGBO. We are used to the slow, measured growth. Soon we will be strong and take over the place. Another...20 years or so... :)
firstbase
Supporting Member

Postby peacockgb » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:45 pm

lahman engine alarws
peacockgb

Postby StevenD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi All, new guy here. Just bought a Classic 46' of 92 vintage. I'm in Hobe
Sound, but the boat is still in Marco Island. She needs some TLC to make the trip home, but a couple more boat bucks and we're good to go. I just came over to the dark side from a Morgan 452 ketch. Any staff positions still available?
Steve
StevenD

Postby Hyperion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:38 am

I guess I’m the newest Florida owner. I just bought a 73 36 Classic and sailed it down from northern Chesapeake Bay. I’m in Miami.
Hyperion

Postby fishing fool » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Congrats Hyperion and StevenD! God to have you guys!
fishing fool
Supporting Member