Boat handling

Issues related to boat specifications or performance

Boat handling

Postby AllanKay » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:46 pm

No thruster and twin screws on GB 42 Classic. Tried the technique of stbd full rudder and stbd ahead with port back. Supposed to move sideways with minor adjustments to stay in one spot. Boat only turns to port as the ahead screw is more efficient rudder pushing stbd. I gave up after some talk and more attempts with my ship handling master mariner friend. We conclude the rudders are too small on the GB for this to work. There are lots of times it would be handy if possible.Thoughts anyone?
AllanKay
Supporting Member

Re: Boat handling

Postby GB42-267 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 am

To use the engines and rudders to walk a GB sideways doesn't work. There are two main reasons for this, one being the rudders are simply too small and the second, they are too far inboard to crate any significant thrust. I replaced mine a couple of years ago with 42% larger stainless steel palmed rudders. These rudders gave me better control in close quarter maneuvering, but I still can't use them with the engines to walk sideways which I didn't expect anyway.
Bjorn M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby AllanKay » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for confirmation and interesting photo.
AllanKay
Supporting Member

Postby gsanchez » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 am

My GB50 responds to the "stbd full rudder and stbd ahead with port back" technique to move sideways. It is not perfect as the bow tends to move sideways a bit faster than the stern and there is a bit of forward motion.

I don't often use this but I have successfully resorted to it in a couple of hairy situations.

I need to rev-up quite a bit to move the boat: 1500 RPM or so.
Gilberto
gsanchez
Supporting Member