Cleaning Teak decks

Issues related to boat specifications or performance

Cleaning Teak decks

Postby jackthevendor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm thinking about cleaning my decks with TE-KA to get the honey color look before I apply a product called TEAKGUARD that is supposed to maintain the "Honey color" for a year, preserve the decks, is washable, and just needs 2 coats a year to keep the teak looking new. A small marine store sold me the TE-KA product saying that a lot of boaters use it and swear by it, but on the bottle it has a lots of cautions. This boat is not fiberglass and has a nice paint job so I'm nervous about using this product and looking for your advise. Thanks Jack in Gig Harbor
jackthevendor
Supporting Member

Postby samcoltwilson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 am

Jack, In the 20 years I have owned the Colt45 I tried many different products to maintain the Honey look. No matter what I put on it always looked bad after several years and would not clean up. Three years ago I sanded down all the decks to bear wood and now just wash them down with salt water then clean fresh water and a scotch pad. I highly recommend not using any product regardless of what they tell you. You will not be happy several years from now.
Sam
S&SColt45
samcoltwilson
Supporting Member

Postby Keith Morris » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:17 am

I agree. I have a scotchpad floor scrubber that I got from Bargreens Supply in Tacoma. It's on a long handle and you use it like a mop and I scrub them with that. I have found Teaka to be pretty destructive to teak and would never use it on my decks. I used warm water and mild solution of Dawn dish soap...lifts the dirt right off. The scotchpad cleans, but doesn't raise the grain in the wood.....Teaka DOES.
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby jackthevendor » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks guys- nice to hear from long time owners- Jack. Others should feel free to weigh in. Has anyone tried this Tealguard product?? They make it sound like its the latest and best solution out there. Check it out and let me know what you think.http://www.allguardproducts.com/
jackthevendor
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:35 am

I used some on some steps and its held up well but I am under cover
grich737
Supporting Member

Re: Cleaning Teak decks

Postby Doug Seagrim » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:53 pm

I have an old fashioned twin rotary brush floor polisher which works well. Just use some deck wash liquid from any hardware store, follow the mixing directions and use the floor polisher and rinse off.
Doug Seagrim

Postby Cruising » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 pm

I had our decks recaulked last winter by a top teak company in Ft. Lauderdale. He normally does very big boats, not small toys like a GB42eu. He was emphatic. DONT USE TEAK CLEANERS”! Do not oil. End of story. Learn to love the grey. Let them stay grey and wash with salt water, (accords the grain with a soft brush.) If you are in brackish or fresh water sprinkle salt on the deck and wet them down.

The cleaners you are considering will absolutely damage the adhesion between the caulk and teak edge. The oil or stain will accelerate the demise of the caulk to wood adhesion. Teak cleaners work because they are pulling material out of the wood, the soft pulp in the top surface of the teak. Yes it will look beautiful for a month and then back to grey and the increased surface area due to the increased ridges in the surface(caused by pulp removal)it will increase the oxidation.
Jeff said if feel you must wash use- Cascade dishwater crystals.It’s a mild non-sudsing cleaner. It won’t damage the caulk adhesion to the teak.
Cruising

Postby Cruising » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:16 pm

I had our decks recaulked last winter by a top teak company in Ft. Lauderdale. He normally does very big boats, not small toys like a GB42eu. He was emphatic. “DON’T USE TEAK CLEANERS”! and “DO NOT OIL” a natural oily wood like teak. End of story. Learn to love the grey of a healthy teak deck. Let them stay grey and wash with salt water, (accords the grain with a soft brush.) If you are in brackish or fresh water sprinkle salt on the deck and wet them down. Salt water is a natural cleaner and rejuvenator for teak decks. Follow this practice and your decks will give you good service for years. Ignore at your peril.

The cleaners you are considering will absolutely damage the adhesion between the caulk and teak edge. Treating a clean deck just makes things worse: Oils or stains will accelerate the demise of the caulk to wood adhesion. Teak cleaners work because they are pulling material out of the wood, the soft pulp in the top surface of the teak. Yes it will look beautiful for a month and then back to grey. The increased surface area due to the increased ridges in the surface(caused by pulp removal) will serve to increase the rate of oxidation.
Jeff said if feel you must wash use- Cascade dishwater crystals.It’s a mild non-sudsing cleaner. It won’t damage the caulk adhesion to the teak.
Cruising

Postby Cruising » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Follow up. I read the brochure. Very high pH, Oxalic acid. Very strong stuff. Direction indicate to rinse off and the grey is washed off- along with the wood pulp.
If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
Cruising