Fuel Tank "Dip Stick" on a 32 Woodie

Issues related to boat specifications or performance

Fuel Tank "Dip Stick" on a 32 Woodie

Postby George Southern » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Was just given a wooden stick to dip the fuel tanks with that came off of a very early 32 (like hull 67 or so) it has a star marking on it every 6 inches, but no indication of gallons....Soooo, my question is how many gallons will be in the tank at say the 24 inch mark? Or how many gallons does each 6 inch mark indicate? Also will it work on my later model (hull 160) 32?
Yup I do have sight glasses, the dip stick would just be a little back up system.
Thanx in advance for any input, George
George Southern

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:02 pm

I doubt anyone can give you reliable answers without knowing how the stick was calibrated and for what tanks. They were not all the same.

The best way to calibrate to the stick is next time you refuel, stick a tank, mark fuel level, then put in 20 or 30 gallons and restick the tank, mark the stick. From that, you can calibrate to the markings.

Then do the other tank same way. You can mark one side of the stick for Port and the other for Stbd. If you have 3 or 4 tanks, you can use the sides of the stick to calibrate.

I suggest you then fill the tanks and restick the tanks and mark for Full for that tank.

The bottoms of the tanks are probably sloped so, at some point, the calibrations won't work as accurately.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Onesockbob » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:20 pm

We are 32-342 and have 110 gallon tanks. Ours work out to roughly 6 gallons per inch and 19 inches indicate a full tank.
Onesockbob

Postby kildarian » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:56 pm

We are 32-114 with two 110 gal tanks. Unfortunately we can only fill in liters!

My calculation is 21L per 1", aka 5.55 USGs. I read a full tank at 18".
kildarian