Vulcan Anchor size for GB42?

Issues related to boat specifications or performance

Vulcan Anchor size for GB42?

Postby Fboykin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:17 pm

New to me GB 42 Classic has a 45# CQR as primary anchor. Shank is bent and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rocna Vulcan anchor (research says that style fits my bow roller best). Wondering if anyone on a GB 42 is using a Vulcan and has advice about the size they're using?

On Vulcan sizing chart, a GB42 in size & weight is between a size 25 (55#) and a 33 (73#).

Any GB42 folks using a Vulcan with advice? Thanks
Fboykin

Postby rustylewis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am

We replaced the 45# CQR that came on our boat with a 60# Manson Supreme. The 60# was the largest we could fit on the bow without making modifications. The limiting factor for us was the length of the shank. The end of the shank on the Manson almost touches the windlass.

The 60# anchor has worked just fine for us. I would go with the largest anchor you can fit on the bow.
rustylewis

Postby JP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:34 pm

We anchor a lot and I agree with Rusty. If not the biggest, then go for the heaviest. Most are one and the same.
JP
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 am

As long as the windlass can handle it and the anchor fits on the pulpit, go with the larger one. If you're using all chain with no rode, you can probably step down a bit. But I anchor out 90% of the time and believe strongly in bigger is better when it comes to anchor size.
If you anchor in relative deep water, you will need a strong windlass to pull the mess up, especially with all chain. It's a lot of weight to pull and if your windlass fail, you may have to pull it by hand, not fun. Been there and done that.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby rustylewis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:42 pm

GB42-267 wrote:As long as the windlass can handle it and the anchor fits on the pulpit, go with the larger one ...
...If you anchor in relative deep water, you will need a strong windlass to pull the mess up, especially with all chain. It's a lot of weight to pull and if your windlass fail, you may have to pull it by hand, not fun. Been there and done that.

I agree. The capability of our little windlass was a concern at the time (and still is). We have the standard Ideal CWM that is found on many boats of that period. We had it rebuilt a few years ago, so it is in good shape. The specs clearly state that we are over the limits with that 60 lb. anchor.

We also anchor out most of the time and are careful not to stress the little guy. So far it has been up to the task.
rustylewis