Loose Steering Wheel Spokes

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Loose Steering Wheel Spokes

Postby FrugalWife » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 am

I know there is thread around somewhere that talks about the wooden steering wheel spokes being loose but I sure can't find it! Anyhow, the flying bridge wheel on my boat is also loose so I decided to do a little investigation to see how it's constructed with the hopes that would lead me to the best solution to tighten it up. I pulled the wheel from the steering station so I could inspect the bronze hub and then removed one bung from the rim to learn what's under it for a fastener.

What I have learned so far ... (1) the hub certainly appears to be solid one piece; there are no signs of a backing plate or any means to access the inside and (2) the rim is held on with a bronze screw. Whether the bronze screw is really a long bronze bolt that screws into the hub is still unknown as I haven't yet tried very hard to remove the screw head. It's bronze and soft and my gentle try at turning it with a screwdriver only succeeded in slipping in the slot. I've got to get the wheel into my shop so I can secure it in a vice and try a bit brace or impact hammer on it. Stay tuned.

Here are some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FrugalWife

Re: Loose Steering Wheel Spokes

Postby Charlie0 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Watching this one. I am a good follower. Lol
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Re: Loose Steering Wheel Spokes

Postby dijksman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:24 am

Hi FrugalWife This is the link for the loose spokes .http://www.grandbanksowners.com/gbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21166.
I am building a water heating system in my boat so thats my priority for now.
I hope you can find something out . My wheel has a solid hub as well. If the hub can not be opened maybe the bottom of the spokes can be reached
by drilling 1 mm holes in the hub and than fill the space with epoxy. So 2 holes per spoke . Epoxy in and epoxy out so the space will be filled. This all on backside of the hub so you will not see the holes. Thats my plan afther the heating plan
Best regards Jos
dijksman
Supporting Member