Bronze mast hinge

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Bronze mast hinge

Postby Chesapeake » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 am

Our cruising grounds take us through a number of areas with low bridges, so I wanted to put a mast hinge up higher to make lowering the mast easier and safer for an old guy. Also, long range plans may have us leaving the boat to overwinter away from home, so I wanted the mast to be able to drop forward as well to serve as a ridge pole for a winter cover. I also wanted something without hinge knuckles exposed to weather, kind of simple looking and flush with the OD of the mast.

After fiddling around for way too long with some designs, I built a rough mock up out of wood and the concept of a two-way hinge seemed like it would work. Plan A was to weld it up out of aluminum tube and plate stock, then machine the hinge leaves. But then, well, it's aluminum on a Grand Banks woodie. :wink:

I wrote to the forum's bronze casting wizard, Barry Luke, and he was willing to give it a go. I can't say enough about his skill and determination to make this thing work. Thanks Barry!
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chesapeake
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am

I have looked at a lot of different mast hinges over the years and to me Randy's
design is the best. When in the working position it is secured with a double male female connection. One in the round center part and again in the squared off perimeter. Then add the fact that it can fold down ether way, that makes for a good design!
Barry
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Re: Bronze mast hinge

Postby drewradford » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Barry L check PM.
drewradford

Re: Bronze mast hinge

Postby Chesapeake » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 am