Grand Banks 46 - Proper sized bow thruster

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Grand Banks 46 - Proper sized bow thruster

Postby TJB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 am

Looking to install a bow thruster this spring and would like opinions on proper size and any real life experience with a bow thruster in a GB 46'. We've received a quote for a Vetus BOW160 from FL Bow Thrusters who feel its the right size for a 46 Grand Banks.

Anyone have any experience with that model or have an opinion on the size unit best suited for our vessel. The BOW160 may be a bit over sized, not sure if that can present any problems.

Thanks,
Tim
TJB
Supporting Member

Postby kildarian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Tim, had a Sidepower 80/185T 12V installed on my 32' Woodie. Believe it was recommended for up to 40'. Works well. By way of a comparison not an answer!!
kildarian

Postby kildarian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Tim, had a Sidepower 80/185T 12V installed on my 32' Woodie. Believe it was recommended for up to 40'. Works well. By way of a comparison not an answer!!
kildarian

Postby robertjsmith » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 pm

We have the Vetus 160 on our GB36 which the previous owner says was maybe one model up from what the boat really needed. It gets used infrequently as we have twin engines but comes into its own if you want to get onto or off the dock against a stiff breeze. I haven’t had any problems due to it being “oversized” and it has been reliable for six years except for when it had a weak battery. We have a rather complicated system to give us the 24v needed for the thruster from our standard 12v installation. Robert
robertjsmith
Supporting Member

Postby robertjsmith » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

We have the Vetus 160 on our GB36 which the previous owner says was maybe one model up from what the boat really needed. It gets used infrequently as we have twin engines but comes into its own if you want to get onto or off the dock against a stiff breeze. I haven’t had any problems due to it being “oversized” and it has been reliable for six years except for when it had a weak battery. We have a rather complicated system to give us the 24v needed for the thruster from our standard 12v installation. Robert
robertjsmith
Supporting Member

Postby Pichetnut » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 pm

I also want to know that it will be the same problem. I really like
Pichetnut

Re: Grand Banks 46 - Proper sized bow thruster

Postby Dessert First » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:14 pm

We are GB 46 classic owners as well and would like to hear what you end up investing in this project if you don’t mind sharing? Also would like to know what you do for batteries and charger setup. Thank you, Dessert First.
Dessert First

Re: Grand Banks 46 - Proper sized bow thruster

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm

We had an Alaskan 45' plus with a 5 hp Wesmar that performed well, although when thrusting against a stiff breeze or current it struggled. I would go to an 8-10 hp if doing it again. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member