Soft cabin wood.

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

Soft cabin wood.

Postby Tom Overs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 am

Well, I had a very slight leak into the cupboard in the V berth this summer and I decided that I needed to find out how the water was getting in.

It was dripping from where the electric cable comes down into the cupboard. After some time trying to find out where it was getting into the trunking I found a small soft spot under the port side window at the front corner. I think the water must have been getting in behind the bottom of the window frame and may have been doing so since Little Ship was rebuilt.

This is what I've found, so it looks like I'll be busy this winter. :roll:

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Re: Soft cabin wood.

Postby Charlie0 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Please post updates and pics as they develop. When it’s done it will be just another feather in your cap. :)
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby Jastafford » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm working on the same area due to a drip in the V berth hanging closet. Mine did not go down so far on the cabin sidewall.
[attachment=0]20181027_152934 mod.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jastafford

Postby Rod Graff » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 pm

I think I might have the same problem. Soft spot right below the port running light. I tapped around and it sounds rotten underneath. I have to wait till the rain stops and expose it all to see how far the damage spread. Think water has been getting in around the improperly beaded light.
RUBY TUESDAY. GB-32-162
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby abcrouch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:03 pm

I also have or had a leak dripping from where the cable comes down into the closet. I just re bedded the port navigation light as I could not figure where else it could be getting in. I am waiting for heavy rain before I feel I have had success.
The PO had made a repair on the cabin side and I have tried to improve on it, but there are still some signs even after lots of CPES.
It must be a weak spot for these woodies, mine is in the exact same area, but I hope not to the extent that Tom or Jastafford have discovered. Like Rod I will hold off until the spring to strip and investigate further. Alan
abcrouch

Postby Rod Graff » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Yea, this is bugging me now. It looks like a previous owner did a fairly large Dutchman patch in the plywood side below the trim line, right about where Tom has a lot of rot also. I put a piece of white duct tape over a small soft spot below the port running light. I didn’t think about how water might be following the wiring. Does the port nav light wiring come from the hanging closet in the V berth? I have a leak in the rear outside corner of the hanging closet in the v berth. Wonder if this is why they did the previous patch. It looks like I have quite a bit of hollow sounding wood under the paint between the port side window mounding . Maybe this is a common rot area on the wooden 32.
RUBY TUESDAY. GB-32-162
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Update so far.

Postby Tom Overs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 am

Rotten wood cut out
In order to repair this area is tricky as there is a slight curve.
The cabin side is 5/8" thick which is made up of 3/8" ply covered by 1/8" ply. First problem is..... You can't buy imperial ply it's now metric. (Thanks to the EU) The closest you can buy is 9mm and 5.5 MM.

This means some very careful cutting to get it right.wood filler will be needed to fair and make it look correct.
I've used CPES and thickened epoxy when fitting the two panels, the first is screwed into place and the top is temporally screwed until the epoxy has set. Once set the screws will be removed and holes filled with thickened epoxy.

I'll post more (hopefully better) photos as work progresses.

This leak was caused by the front side window leaking and only showed up once water got into the locker. Look carefully at where the cable runs in the photo as its in a chase on one of the battens.
Tom.
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Moved on a little further with this project. So far the wood has been replaced and the glass and frame have been installed and hopefully all sealed to prevent this happening again. I've also refitted the dish and plate cupboard that had to be removed to obtain access.
All that's left now is the fairing and painting....... which as we all know takes ages.

Tom.
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Looks good, can't wait for it to warm up here so I can get back to this type of work.
Jastafford

Postby Tom Overs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:08 am

I'm on the final lap with this project, here is a photo of the first paint on the new wood after "fairing" it in.
This area has a slight curve which is difficult to achieve on a short infill piece so some filling and sanding was needed. It's not perfect but you can't tell when LS is three miles off shore. :P
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:09 am

very nicely done!!
Jastafford

Postby Rod Graff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Nice work Tom
RUBY TUESDAY. GB-32-162
Rod Graff
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 pm

I feel your pain, but nice work!
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby abcrouch » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Finally hope that I have found where the rain was coming in on my GB 32 woodie.
Beware other owners this is a problem spot.

The previous owner had a go, I had revised it but not until now do I think that I found the source of where the rain was getting in. It was very small and hard to believe that it could be the source of that steady drip into the closet.
Having trouble with posting pics but trying to get two posted.

http://www.grandbanksowners.com/gbb/posting.php?mode=reply&f=20&t=19839#tabs
abcrouch

Postby Tom Overs » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:16 am

That shows exactly where the water enters the cable run. Mine is now all repaired and painted but my water ingress was the frame of the window.
It's a difficult section to make it look correct as its slightly bent and needs careful cutting and fairing.
Post photos of your repair.
Tom.
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Tom Overs
Supporting Member