1971 grand banks i saved

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

1971 grand banks i saved

Postby ronaldmorano » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 pm

My story with my Grand Banks 32, Hull #213 starts like this: Last year, she found herself here in Jackson County Mississippi and got confused and hit a dredge pipe. She got three holes in the bottom and tore the prop and rudder out from under her. She laid wounded on he starboard side in the surf for three days before rescue was able to help and got her floated to Pitalos Marine boat yard. After being on the hard for a week I rode through the yard and just looking at boats and it happened. I saw her for the first time. I could tell that she spent some time laying on the starboard side because the paint was sanded smooth all down one side. At closer inspection, not one seam had come loose. At that point I knew I had to try to save this one. Now I'm in my upper sixties and was not looking for a boat at all. Now, to all you retired folks out there that find yourself bored with too much time on your hands, I dare you to fall in love with a 48 year old Grand Banks. I have worked on this little ship for thirteen months for six days a week. I've had plenty help along the way with a special shout out to Pitalo's Marine, the staff there has done a wonderful job steering me in the right direction. This little boat has changed my life and given me one more chance to be the captain of my own vessel. My kids made me a video and got me on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8_u7vsqfEI

ps. if anyone has any history on hull#213,please contact me

ronnie morano email ronniemorano@gmail.com
Last edited by ronaldmorano on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronaldmorano

Re: 1971 grand banks i saved

Postby Richard Werner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 am

Looks good. That is a big project.
Richard Werner
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am

fantastic, well done, well done indeed
Jastafford

Postby Charlie0 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Very nice! You are a talented man. That little guy “riding” the engine will have memories of you (if not the boat) forever.
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby ronaldmorano » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Thank you Charlie O. I wouldn’t say I’m talented more like I’m just stubborn. I had no knowledge of how nice these little boats were build. I’ve never owned a wood boat but admired them at a young age. The only experience I’ve had was helping a friend care for his so I could go fishing with him. When I started to pull broken planks off mine I was in for a surprise. Nothing could have prepared me for what I was in for. The screws they used are nothing like the nailed together vessel I worked on. They simply would not turn loose. I had to take a one inch hole saw and cut around every single screw that had to be taken out. Then when I got the screws exposed even the tips were stuck in the frames and were breaking off. Five weeks of getting schooled by her I got all seven planks out. Every day was a learning experience but the more time I spent under that boat the more fascinating I became with the quality of the Constrution that went into building this vessel. I say it’s Grand Banks best kept secret because if everyone knew what these guys did to build these boats there would be a shortage of them no where near enough to fill the want for them. This one was in very good condition before her accident and I did my best to keep it all original there’s not one single system on on this vessel I haven’t had my hands on and figured out what it’s for and how it works. Not one afternoon did I drive home and not tell myself wow at the quality that went into this boat. Made me wonder how they had time to build anyone else one. I was so scared of what I got myself into for a solid year but the launch day was priceless. She leaked maybe five gallons of water and started first try. A few minutes later I went for my first ride. This little lady now put me on top of the world. I still working on her every single day and we go riding around every weekend. Never I would have thought it would turn out this nice in a year. I would have spent five on it if needed.this boat has changed my life itself for the better. I feel healthy again and lost twenty five pounds in the process. There has been more strangers stop and give me a hand and that taught me theirs some great people left in this world. I could go on all night about my journey but little casamar is sleeping tonight so we can play all weekend and I better get some rest to. The young man in the video is my grandson and I get the joy to spend most of the summer with him.he knows more about that boat now that a lot of folks learn in a lifetime owning one. I tell everyone I run into while we’re cruising around on weekends the little casamar is doing what she does best. Pleasing people.
ronaldmorano

Postby GB42-267 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 am

This is a hell of an impressive restoration and a testament to the quality, skill and labor that went into these boats
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby thugger » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Congratulations...well done! We love our 50-year old 32. And my father, who is 97, still owns 51-year old GB32-106. The 32s are fantastic boats. Thank you for saving yours!
Ted Hugger
Seguin, GB32-126
thugger
Supporting Member

Postby lccomo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm

I have been restoring GB32-247 for the past 6 years. Way too much invested, but will be a nice boat for the next guy. Now as I get it ready for the Great Loop, I find the shaft to have some slop - not a lot, but more than it should.

CUTLASS BEARINGS: mine need to be replaced - haven't found good instructions. Attached is where I'm at - disconnected at the transmission flange.

Now what - how to replace the middle cutlass bearing??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lccomo

Postby Tom Overs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 am

Congratulations.
I spent 3 years rebuilding Little Ship and now still enjoy the fruits of my labours some 15 years later.
I will say that the hard work never ends and each year I find something else to do.
Have a look at Little Ships web page on here.
Again.... Very well done.
Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member