Exuma's

Postby Jim J. » Sat Aug 19, 2000 2:53 pm

Has anyone cruised to the Exuma's in the Bahama's? We've been to the Abaco's and are interested in best anchorages, best crossing's from Florida. We've read the guides am interested in first hand recommendations. Jim J.
Jim J.

Postby Mike Negley » Mon Aug 21, 2000 4:50 pm

I think it is the "best" of the Bahamas. Read the various Cruising Guides and contact Milt Baker, former owner of Blue Water Charts in Ft. Lauderdale (954 763-6533). Milt has been going to the Bahamas for years in his GB and Blue Water publishes a monthly newsletter, part of which covers the Bahamas and they know the best nav. guides/charts for the area. The water is crystal clear so it is easy to navigate by eye as long as the sun is overhead or behind. There are few or no aids to navigation. Make a point to talk to the sailors you see in the anchorages. Water and fuel are in short supply. Few grocery stores and no repair parts except Nassau. Going thru cuts can be very exciting if the wind is opposing the tide. Bahamian mooring with 2 anchors is mandatory.<BR>Southern Boating Magazine publishes an annual Bahamas Edition that is valuable. Most of the guides give time, course, vectors and distances from various ports in FL. You would probably want to leave from Miami and head for the southern Berry Islands, then down to Nassua (fuel/provisions) and then across the Yellow Bank to the Exumas. Some of our favories: Allan's Cay, Norman's Cay, Wardrick Wells, Pipe Creek Area, Staniel Cay, Cave Cay, Stocking Island/Elizabeth Harbour. Have a great time.
Mike Negley

Postby T L Grimes » Mon Aug 21, 2000 10:28 pm

Marlow Marine sponsors the Southern Grand Banks Qowners Asscoiationand headed a cruise to the Exumas last summer. The trip was written up in several of Marlow's SGBOA bulletins. Call for copies. They should be very helpful<P>------------------<BR>Tommy<BR>
T L Grimes

Postby Jim J. » Mon Aug 21, 2000 11:47 pm

Hi, Mike and T.L. Thanks for the information. We plan to go sometime next spring/summer. Your advice should be helpful. I am looking forward to the trip. Last trip to the Abaco's we had a fortress anchor and a danforth HT. We had to find open sand to anchor with success. What other anchors work well? Thanks again. Jim J. Fairwinds GB 32 #116.
Jim J.

Postby Mike Negley » Tue Aug 22, 2000 10:57 am

Sea grass is a problem in the Bahamas all over. Fortunately you can easily dive down and set the flukes by hand. The claw-type anchors (CQR, Delta, Bruce)seem to work better, but (my opinion) at least 50' of 3/8" chain as a lead is essential and the anchor has to be heavy enough to penetrate the seabed. I still prefer to find open when it is around. The Danforth and Fortress anchors tend to skate right over the grass unless you do down and set them by hand.
Mike Negley

Postby Jim J. » Tue Aug 22, 2000 11:14 pm

Mike, I plan to buy a claw type anchor, between the C.Q.R. and the bruce which one would you pick? What weight? I just recieved new Passagemaker magazine , pretty good article on the Bahama's. Thanks Jim
Jim J.

Exumas

Postby tdomenech » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm

I've been to the Exumas as far as Georgetown. LOVE IT! Will go to the Berry's this year. Been to Highborne, Compass, Staniel, etc. Great cruising.
tdomenech