Let's go cruising

Let's go cruising

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:19 am

Some of this looks like it might be Tom's cruising grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=T4FIS1FnOQg
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:53 am

Maybe Tom was taking the videos 8)
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby Frode » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Wow - makes everything I've been through seem like flat and calm conditions. Thanks for sharing.
Frode
Supporting Member

Re: Let's go cruising

Postby Tom Overs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:06 am

JoMeKe wrote:Some of this looks like it might be Tom's cruising grounds.

Yep! I think that was the calm day we had in June :)

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

wow!!

Postby frank@qg.com » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:07 am

Just curious.....from where and how do they take some of those overhead videos.???

One would think if taken from any type aircraft (fixed-wing or helicopter) they'd be rocking and rolling like crazy.

Incredible pictures.!!
frank@qg.com

Postby CrabGuy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

Overheads like that are shot from Helicopters,
more maneuverable than fixed wings, they can back up too!
cameras are mounted on gyro stabilizers
CrabGuy
Supporting Member

Re: Let's go cruising

Postby Great Big Sea » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:54 pm

JoMeKe wrote:Some of this looks like it might be Tom's cruising grounds.

I am so sorry not to be able to see this on Youtube, since for whatever reason this has been blocked. is there any way you can enable me to see this fx on your own site?
Thanks
Rik
Great Big Sea

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm

The link loaded up just fine for me.

You may have a regional or isp block on it.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Great Big Sea » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:The link loaded up just fine for me.

looks like it: it says I have a "palte" block on it which has been blocked here in France..
Any other way I can see this?
Thanks in advance
Rik
Great Big Sea

Postby Great Big Sea » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:The link loaded up just fine for me.

Hi Bob,
I've seen you on the forum a number of times and below is the question i tried to post, or have posted, (i can't find it) can you pls help me on the way?
Rgds
Rik

Hello y"all,
Let me introduce myself at first; in two lines: I am 51 years old and have been sailing "sail boats" all my life; started of in a 6ft dingy and ended up with a 45ft sailing yacht. Never crossed the atlantic, but did all else possible in europe.
Here is the question:
I intend to buy a GB42 Classic and would like to know it's behavior in "rough" weather, all I can see, read ,and view on the net and in this forum, is pretty much cool cruising. Now what happens if we hit some more severe weather?
Lets say a gale 5 with 5-6ft waves: how does the boat hold?, what is its behavior? is there a lot of overspray, does it maintain course, what's flying around in the cabin etc.
Can you, and I am sure most of you , if not all, have encountered this sort of weather, provide me with some feed back?
I thank all of you in advance and look forward to hearing your stories/comments.
Thanks a million.
Rik
Great Big Sea

Postby creditcard1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 am

I saw your video jomeke, it was very entertaining for me. Thanks for posting this.
Credit Card scams
Credit Card Builders reviews
Ari Page
creditcard1

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 am

Hi Bob,
I've seen you on the forum a number of times and below is the question i tried to post, or have posted, (i can't find it) can you pls help me on the way?
Rgds
Rik

Hello y"all,
Let me introduce myself at first; in two lines: I am 51 years old and have been sailing "sail boats" all my life; started of in a 6ft dingy and ended up with a 45ft sailing yacht. Never crossed the atlantic, but did all else possible in europe.
Here is the question:
I intend to buy a GB42 Classic and would like to know it's behavior in "rough" weather, all I can see, read ,and view on the net and in this forum, is pretty much cool cruising. Now what happens if we hit some more severe weather?
Lets say a gale 5 with 5-6ft waves: how does the boat hold?, what is its behavior? is there a lot of overspray, does it maintain course, what's flying around in the cabin etc.
Can you, and I am sure most of you , if not all, have encountered this sort of weather, provide me with some feed back?
I thank all of you in advance and look forward to hearing your stories/comments.
Thanks a million.
Rik

I missed this post/question, sorry for the late response.

I have never cruised a well stocked and outfitted GB42 in any real seaway. Dreamer is an Alaskan 45 with similar hull shape, size and design is very similar to to the Europa 42. She was well stocked with supplies and spares and well outfitted so a bit on the heavy side.

She performed quite well in all the seas we encountered off the west coast of the US, Canada and Mexico, including some big steep stuff off Cape Mendocino. She also had stabilizers which makes a big difference.

But, even before we added the stabilizers, she performed quite well in our cruises in the PNW and SE Alaska including seas as you described.

Spray is a function of the wind, not the boat type/shape, so if it's windy on the bow, you will get spray as you are punching into the waves. We never took any heavy water over the bow. We did try to keep her bow light although we did carry over 500' of 5/16 chain up there plus a second anchor and rode of chain and line.

We always secured things inside and outside the boat before setting off so did not have things flying around the cabin.

She held course well with her Comnav autopilot.

Perhaps some others here can tell of their experiences on a GB42 in challenging seas. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 am

I have made the 22 mile crossing from Catalina Island to the Los Angeles Harbor to and from in some pretty heavy seas. That is a very deep channel and can be one of the most treacherous in the world.

One crossing was in winds of steady 45 MPH with gusting of 65 MPH. Seas were 16' with breaking seas on top of 4 to 5'. Those seas hit the rear quarter port side. This was my worse crossing and the GB 42 held very well. The crew was a different matter. I steered from the bridge and watched the seas avoiding the really big breaking waves as much as possible. I got very little seas on the boat but was soaked by spray.

Another trip going the opposite direction was in 15' head seas and I never took water over the bow, just spray. That was a much more comfortable ride as to nerves and crew.

I talked to another GB boater on shore that was also going across at the same time. He commented that at Point Conception, the most treacherous spot, the USCG commander told him he never had to rescue a GB owner there.

It's up to the skipper I think.
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby wentwilly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Tide rips are treacherous in lower Cook's Inlet. 20 feet high and ten foot apart at times. When fully fueled Journey will take them head on or so gleefully. Stern on or either quarter she rides with constant attention to the helm, but never pooped. She has trolled for salmon in 15 footers on the stern. We tend to stay in port if facing the trough in over 6-8 foot- not dangerous, just too uncomfortable!
wentwilly