a question about boating law

a question about boating law

Postby tim222 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:14 pm

i have my 32 gb on cayuga lake in upstate ny and this week end while driving down the lake I had 2 people standing on the bow.the police came up to me and said that it was illegal for people to be on the bow because there is no approved seating area. now I always thought that because of the bulwarks that the bow was considered being in the boat,so it was legal for people to be up there. cayuga lake is patrolled by coastguard(coast guard aux.) so it is under CG regs.was I wrong in my thinking or do the sheriffs need to brush up on maritime law!
all boats are work,wooden or frozen snot boats
tim222

Postby Keith Morris » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:59 pm

I think that was a ridiculous stop made by someone with nothing else better to do than harass you. Law or not, on a GB, that's a C.S. stop. I agree that people sitting on the bow of a speedboat should NOT be there, but on a GB? Give me a break.
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby dstong » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Beyond ridiculous...Boating for over 50 years and have never heard of such a thing. I would push back!
dstong
Supporting Member

Postby AndyMac » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:47 am

Technically the lake is only under NY law. By definition, it is not a navigable waterway. The CG Aux patrol with an agreement with the local PD.
Your passengers were not "bow riding" they were standing on deck.
We all know the intent of the no "bow riding", which I don't even think is law.
No feet hanging over the side of the bow while underway.
I would definitely push back next time.
Good luck
Jeff
Jeff
If it's broke, we fix it
AndyMac

Postby Mahalo Moi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:58 am

I don't think that the CG Aux has any teeth. However, if I'm mistaken, have them site the code where you can't stand on your deck in the bow of a boat that moves at glacial speed.
Ray Muldrew
Mahalo Moi
Supporting Member

Postby jglabrown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 pm

As a member of the USCG Auxiliary, I can affirm that the Aux has NO enforcement authority. Period! The only weapon allowed is the radio, which means the "big boys (and girls)" can be called in, and they definitely have enforcement powers. The vast majority of Auxiliary men and women are individuals who are dedicated to boater safety; it's a shame that a few seem to think that wearing a uniform bestows powers that aren't and shouldn't be there.
jglabrown
Supporting Member