New Owner of an Old Woody!

New Owner of an Old Woody!

Postby Serenity69 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello group - I recently purchased a GB 46 Alaskan PH and wanted to introduce myself. I've already learned a ton from posts on this site and I'm hoping to get/give advice where I can.

My wife and I picked up the 1968 Alaskan 46 (Hull 8 of 40) in Florida about a month ago. I believe the same vessel was discussed at some length by another user as well. We live in Atlanta and have already sailed her 1068 miles up to Chattanooga TN by way of the Gulf and the Tenn-Tom waterway, and she held up great!

She definitely has her share of work to be done; lots of cosmetic work, some leaky seams in the decking and general maintenance items, but nothing that my wife and I aren't too nervous to tackle :) She will be in a covered slip for the next few years before we take her up to the NE on what we hope to be a year long cruise.

We absolutely love the way she looks and would like to keep her as close to original as possible. I'm looking forward to reading up on all the repairs that everyone has done with their woodies and learning everything I can!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions / advice right off the bat.

Chris
Serenity69
Supporting Member

Postby TOM ROLLINS » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:05 am

Chris: Congratulations and welcome.
TOM ROLLINS
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Good find I have been looking for one on the west coast for a few years. Welcome
grich737
Supporting Member

Alaskan 46

Postby warrensmith » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi,

Wish I had known you were making that trip. You could have stopped by and we could have compared boats! I keep my Alaskan in Fort Morgan Alabama by the mouth of Mobile Bay. Last year I picked up my boat in Knoxville TN and sailed it down the same way you came up. My Alaskan is one of the odd few that has a fly bridge. Mine is very original except for the refer and AC. My saloon door opening still has the screen door that is hinged behind the main bifold door. I currently have my boat in a yard for a bottom up paint and bright work job. Also taking care of some wood replacement caused by fresh water getting in behind the transom rail.
I and my wallet can't wait to get her back in the slip and at the ready.
Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Regards
Warren
warrensmith

Postby Serenity69 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Hey Warren! Man, I love the internet :) Wish we could have met so we could take a look at your boat- she sounds great. I didn't even know there used to be a screen door! I'm working on a web site to post some pictures, and I'll let you know when they get uploaded. Do you have any shots of yours you could share?
Our immediate need project is re-caulking some of the forward teak decking where the water is making its way in, but then we will move on to brightwork and paint all around. We had the bottom done just before our trip, so at least that has new paint. I'd also be interested in where you are having your work done - we have yet to find a boatyard up here on the TN river that I feel comfortable with.
Thanks again for posting - look forward to future conversations!
Chris
Serenity69
Supporting Member