Great Loop

Great Loop

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:41 pm

My wife and I are in the very early stages of considering a Great Loop cruise—probably about 5-6 years off once the kids are off to college. I am wondering what resources those who have done it have found most helpful. I have been lurking around the MTOA site as well as the AGLCA site. Is one of these preferred over the other? Any others worth poking into and/or joining as we plan? Anyone have any input at this early stage? We would probably buy a boat on the east coast, cruise for at least a year, then sell the boat to return west.

Thanks
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Vance Nelson » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey Ken - it is a GREAT trip. The AGLCA is the primary group to belong to. It has been 8 years since I have been a member and it switched many years ago from volunteer to a commercial group. They have Rendezvous at a couple of ports along the way and it is a week of gathering with other Loopers. Order the AGLCA burgee and fly it now - anyone who has done the loop will stop to talk and advise.

My wife of fifty years, Audine, passed away last Saturday from ALS and I am a bit overwhelmed right now, but will try to get more info to you later.

Vance
Vance - Superior Dreams GB32-340
Vance Nelson
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks Vance. So very sorry to hear of your loss. I recall our time together when we gave you a ride to the Rendezvous a few years ago. My thoughts are wth you.

Calm seas,
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:45 am

Vance
I don't really have the correct words but on our short cruse together she impressed us as being quite a lovely person. A friend who also recently lost his wife of many years said the grief comes in waves but as time passes the waves are not as steep and are further and further apart.
Our thoughts are with you.
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby Basara008 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:30 am

Thanks very much
Basara008