How do I interpret this?

How do I interpret this?

Postby Mikethedrummer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 am

Just trying to understand some of this stuff. Can someone interpret this for me? Plaque on boat reads
Grand Banks
44 Europa
Hull #44 - 0010
Mikethedrummer

Re: How do I interpret this?

Postby Mikethedrummer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:06 am

Mikethedrummer wrote:Just trying to understand some of this stuff. Can someone interpret this for me? Plaque on boat reads
Grand Banks
44 Europa
Hull #44 - 0010

My paperwork says the boat is a 47'?
Mikethedrummer

Postby Keith Morris » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:07 am

The serial number means that you have a 44 ft Europa and the 10th hull manufactured for that model.
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Re: How do I interpret this?

Postby Keith Morris » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:08 am

Mikethedrummer wrote:
Mikethedrummer wrote:Just trying to understand some of this stuff. Can someone interpret this for me? Plaque on boat reads
Grand Banks
44 Europa
Hull #44 - 0010

My paperwork says the boat is a 47'?

It's been my experience that the "44" designation would be the length at the waterline. May not always be true.

Our GB36 is almost 40' if you measure from the pulpit to the back of the swim step.
Keith
Last edited by Keith Morris on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby Mikethedrummer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 am

Keith Morris wrote:The serial number means that you have a 44 ft Europa and the 10th hull manufactured for that model.

Thanks! I guess the 47' is the "new" measurement standard with molded swim platform extending the waterline...
Mikethedrummer

Postby Keith Morris » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:12 am

Mikethedrummer wrote:
Keith Morris wrote:The serial number means that you have a 44 ft Europa and the 10th hull manufactured for that model.

Thanks! I guess the 47' is the "new" measurement standard with molded swim platform extending the waterline...
That may have been added on at some point Mike. It's not uncommon for people to have that done.
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby Mikethedrummer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 am

Keith Morris wrote:
Mikethedrummer wrote:

That may have been added on at some point Mike.

When doing "research" I think I read somewhere the 44' became the 46' then became the 47' in 2006 which is our date of manufacture.
Mikethedrummer

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Mike,

The way I understand it is that, when GB changed the hull design from the 42's semi-displacement and went to the modified V for the 44 in 2006/2007, they went to a swim step that was molded as part of the hull. The powers that be in dictating how a boat can be labeled clarified that a boat's stated length had to include any non-removable element of the hull, so their 44 suddenly become a 47 with no real change in length. That became a marketing problem for them so in the next iteration, they made the hull 47 and returned to the bolted-on swim step. I may not have all that correct, but that is how I understand the names got shuffled around.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Mikethedrummer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:21 pm

JoMeKe wrote:Mike,

The way I understand it is that, when GB changed the hull design from the 42's semi-displacement and went to the modified V for the 44 in 2006/2007, they went to a swim step that was molded as part of the hull. The powers that be in dictating how a boat can be labeled clarified that a boat's stated length had to include any non-removable element of the hull, so their 44 suddenly become a 47 with no real change in length. That became a marketing problem for them so in the next iteration, they made the hull 47 and returned to the bolted-on swim step. I may not have all that correct, but that is how I understand the names got shuffled around.

That sounds about like what I read, thanks.
Mikethedrummer