Half Moon Bay Cruise

Half Moon Bay Cruise

Postby Bohemian » Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 am

We're planning a cruise to Half Moon Bay from San Francisco in July and would appreciate hearing about your experience and any tips if you have made that trip. Thank you, Chris on Bohemian
Bohemian

Re: Half Moon Bay Cruise

Postby pjwhite » Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 am

I made this trip in November last year and had a fine time. Unfortunately, I arrived after dark, which I do not recommend. It made for an "interesting" approach. And when I left the next morning it was foggy, so I never really saw much of Half Moon Bay. But those things aside, here are some notes:
1. Watch out for crab pots (as marked by brightly colored floats) going down the coast. In crab season, they are all over the place and you will want to avoid getting too near them to prevent the possibility of having lines tangled in your prop.
2. Avoid the shallows marked on your chart. Don't be tempted to make a shortcut -- stay outside of marker G1 and go in between G3 and R2 before turning north toward the entrance to Pillar Point Harbor.
3. Be prepared to encounter swells coming from the side as you approach the harbor.
4. If you anchor in the outer harbor, as I did, give the harbormaster a call to let them know you are there. They will appreciate it. There is no cost for anchoring, but they like to know who's out there.
5. If you get a slip in the inner harbor, you can make arrangements with the harbormaster in advance.

Have fun!
pjwhite

Postby Bohemian » Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am

Thank you PJ. Just what I was looking for. I have heard it is hard to get an anchor to hold in the harbor and wondered if you had any problems? Thanks again, Chris
Bohemian

Postby pjwhite » Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 am

Bohemian wrote:
> Thank you PJ. Just what I was looking for. I have heard it is hard to get
> an anchor to hold in the harbor and wondered if you had any problems?
> Thanks again, Chris

I don't recall any problems with the anchor. The water is well protected, and there wasn't much of a current to deal with. I have a plow-type anchor.
pjwhite