Looking for an electrical technician in Hilton Head

Looking for an electrical technician in Hilton Head

Postby kainebob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:45 am

We will be at Cumberland anchorage tonight and we've noticed that we may have an electrical issue with either the alternator, battery charger or voltage regulator: We're sending out a charge at over 14.6 and we think our Starboard battery is cooked because it will only hold a four hour charge (AGM 8a8d). It's five years old, so we will try to order one now and have it delivered to West Marine in Hilton Head. We need someone to check out the voltage problem. Our Battery Charger continues to pulse when it's on shore power. Anyone have any recommendations for someone in Hilton head to help us?

Bob & Margaret
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:03 am

No recommendation, but if you are cruising long distances and continually charge at 14.6, it will overcharge your batteries in the end. Do you have a smart regulator?
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Orin Guidry » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:25 pm

You are a day's trip from Charleston and it will likely be easier to deal with this problem there. City Marina has an on site workers who can probably help you or get you pointed in the right direction. It is relatively close to a large West and the marina van will provide transport.
Orin Guidry
Supporting Member

battery

Postby kainebob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

I called marine tech in HH before I saw the referral for Charleston. Bob Lowe's recommendation matches what I suspected, but I didn't know how to fix it; this is a whole new world. They are ordering a new battery and I told him about the smart regulator; I gave him the charger info I have: Sentry Cruisair, Automatic Ferro Resonant Battery Charger, 12v 40a 3 outputs, FR series.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:06 pm

I highly recommend you get a smart charger and smart regulator for the alternator as well.

Perhaps a combination inverter/charger if you don't have an inverter.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:06 pm

More info: John from Marine Tech said the charger we have is an old technology, but may be able to be adjusted down a bit. He's going to go through the manuals and discuss options; including a replacement charger.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Battery charger

Postby kainebob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Marine Tech did a find job, but I haven't got the bill yet. They had the battery installed in fifteen minutes, then came back with the mother board for the Charging unit. It was only a few screws and a six wire plug and play. If anyone has the same problem, they can have the repair part shipped to them from the manufacturer.

B
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby ssher » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Next time you come to HH, look up Bill Darden at Dockside Marine Services who is the BEST marine electrician and technician and fairly priced.
ssher