2009 A good year

2009 A good year

Postby Don Prior » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Happy New Year to everyone on the board. Fair winds and safe passages to all for 2010.

I am stuck in Anacortes due to bad weather so I have been catching up on some of my to do list chores. I also signed off my log for 2009.

Although I travel a lot (not as many days as George Clooney) I still managed the following;
- total hours in 2009 = 206
- total fuel used in 2009 = 825 gallons (US)
- Average fuel per hour = 4.2 gallons

Some of the milestones for the year;
- installed a Webasto 2010 hydronic furnace last winter which crashed within 4 weeks of being installed. It was replaced by Sure Marine Service in Seattle at no cost to me. It crashed again three days ago just before my winter cruise. The quick inspection last Thursday suggests it is the black box but I will not know until next week. That is two crashes on my only two winter cruises. Not a good reference for this unit.
- went to the Rendezvous in Roche Harbor and met Val & Bernie as well as Eric and of course Tom & Babs. I was sorry that I did not get more time with everyone but other obigations had to be recognized. Next year there will be no other obligations!! Tom, are you coming back?
- met Jon, Admiral and crew of Tagish in Anacortes
- met Lynn Tompson and crew of North Star in Deer Harbor
- installed a new Force 10 stove to replace the old Magic Chef which was the original (I think). Won many points with the Admiral for this as it has an igniter in the oven so no more comments about burning the fingers trying to light the oven.
- installed a new Furuno 34 mile radar (do not have the number).
- installed AIS receiver. This is the best toy onboard.
- installed 2 Uniden WHAMx4 wireless microphones (one on the flybridge and one in the forward cabin) to be used to operate the main radio from the flybridge and also to be used as an intercom system. A bit awkward to use but very effective as a intercom. Excellent for controlling the radio.
- installed a Shurflow Extreme X variable speed fresh water pump. An excellent solution to the old noisy pump and a constant pressure in the shower when someone opens the galley hot water tap.
- new battery for the generator
- acquired a covered slip in shed at Oak Harbor
- devised a method to lower and raise the forward hinged mast

No exciting incidents this year other than loosing all my fresh water on a cruise to Victoria. A quick stop in Sidney, BC, resulted in finding a disconnected hose under the hot water tank. No cost but very difficult to repair.

No long passages but many short interesting ones. Visited;
Coupeville
Utsalady
La Conner
Anacortes
Deer Harbor
Roche Harbor
Sidney
Bedwell Harbor
West Sound
Friday Harbor

All-in-all A good year.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in Anacortes
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Tom, are you coming back?

Ahaa! now, well, erm, it's like this............ just which bunk will I be in and will I have to spend hours on the bridge drinking Gin like last time, you know what that bloke Bernie is like!

Tom :lol:
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby John Caples » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Don,

It sounds like you are doing a great job of maintaining and improving Brassbounder. My list of accomplishments is not nearly so long, but I did manage to paint the topsides, install a transducer for a backup sounder, and successfully repel an invasion of otters. This winter I must replace the old Magic Chef.

John Caples
GB42-212 Xanadu
Olympia, WA
Attachments
IMG_6174 [1600x1200].JPG
New paint job on Xanadu
John Caples
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 pm

John

I can highly recommend the Force 10, three burner galley stove.

Mine fitted right into the slot for the old four burner Magic Chef. It was an easy installation. It came through the starboard opening window near the door and the old one went out the same way. A lot of blankets over the window trim and a coupe of strong young backs made it an easy job.

The propane line is a direct copper tube into the back of the Magic Chef. I bent the tube (carefully) 90 degrees and then attached a hose to connect the Force 10. The fittings were all standard.

I will add some pictures from another computer later today.

Safe passages for 2010

Don
Brassbunder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby John Caples » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks Don, it is nice to know that the Force 10 will fit without modifications. I look forward to seeing pictures. Can you recommend a supplier that might offer a good price?

John
Attachments
IMG_6138 edit 1 [1600x1200].jpg
Grand Banks 42 Doublewide
John Caples
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:15 pm

John

I acquired mine from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I think their price was about the same as everyone else but they had a special on delivery which tipped the scale in their favour.

I am still onboard so photos will have to wait until this evening.

Far winds

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby uwhuskies00 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:23 am

I will agree we just put in our Force 10 propane stove and had a great Ham dinner for new years. The admiral was against propane but she now loves it. We purchased through Fisheries and had it installed in Seattle.
uwhuskies00
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:10 am

I replaced mine with a Seaward Princess and that was in 1993. I am a liveaboard and cook daily on it and couldn't be happier with it. The customer service at Seaward is excellent too. One last thing, one of the owners owned a GB 36 for many years before he got out of boating and he is very familiar with GB galleys.

I won't say anything about the Force 10 but I have always been told the Princess is a better unit. Since I have never owned a Force 10 I can't say from experience.
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm

John

I promised you some pictures of the installation of my Force 10 stove.

These are not pretty. I think they were taken on my phone which is not the best camera. There was no way to get under the old Magic Chef so when I removed it there was an awful mess.

John, as you noted when you compared my fridge hardware with your installation, our GB 42's are not all EXACTLY the same. The Force 10 stove went in after I took about 1/16" off one of the upper spacers. There is now a gap under the stove which I actually like as the area can now be cleaned.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa
Attachments
imagejpeg_5.jpg
Final but with some trim to be re-applied
imagejpeg_4.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg
Some cleaning and painting required
imagejpeg_3.jpg
The old Magic Chef. Worked fine but oven difficult to lite
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby John Caples » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Don,

Thanks very much. The pictures are great! We still haven't decided if it will be a Force 10 or a Princess. The admiral wants to see them both before she chooses.

John
GB42-212
Xanadu
Attachments
IMG_1872 [1600x1200].JPG
Our Granddaughter with bread baked fresh out of the oven in Alaska.
John Caples
Supporting Member

Postby Grinnin Barrett » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks everyone.
Grinnin Barrett
Supporting Member