2010 GB Roche Harbor Rendezvous

2010 GB Roche Harbor Rendezvous

Postby GB42-267 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am

Friday morning and the weather Gods are smiling..........

Bjorn M
Attachments
IMG_2811.JPG
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Fri May 14, 2010 9:55 am

What about those high clouds? Weather change coming? Looks beautiful though. Wish we were there. Have fun!

Be sure to give us more reports and photos of the weekend. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:03 am

A change is in the air, but for now life is good. :D

Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby skong_1999 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks Bjorn, what a beautiful sight of all the Grand Banks.
Wish we are there. You guys have fun :-)

Love to hear more about it and see more pictures of it.

Shing & Joanne :-)
skong_1999
Supporting Member

Postby Keith Morris » Mon May 17, 2010 12:08 am

We were up in the area but did not attend. We did take our skiff over and walked the docks. Lots of nice looking GB's but attendence seemed to be off a little from last year. Anyone know the numbers?
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Mon May 17, 2010 2:51 am

:P :P Last year there were a couple of high profile guests in attendance :P :P :twisted:

I'm looking forward to the reports and photos.

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Mon May 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Tom

As you mentioned, there was not any "high profile" guests this year but it was great fun. The laid back format was still in force which I like.

I do not know the numbers but there was a good crowd. It may be that I know more people at this function now but it seemed more friendly and everyone stopped to talk or comment on all the boats in attendance.

After visiting the entire dock many times I have decided that my next GB will be a GB 49 classic. I have not had any luck talking the admiral into a GB 50 flush deck but she did like the GB 49. Actually she thought it was a good looking 42 and had to be told it was a 49. Maybe when I retire (if?)

Bob Smith was in his usual good form. He can sidetrack a difficult question into a funny story every time and then come back to the question with a logical and complete answer. A great speaker.

There seemed to be more dogs this year which my Flora enjoyed. No one paid much attention to the leash rule and as far as I know there were no incidents. The cat that was walked in its own mobile cage was a great attraction.

There seemed to be more advertising but it was not offensive. The sponsors were very good in keeping their signs a reasonable size.

I never had any takers on the Guinness and actually brought back some gin but it was not for the lack of effort. I really tried to deplete the supply.

I have not yet heard what the "incident" was for this year. I know of Intruder's exhaust problem two years back and Erics fuel problem last year but have not heard of anything for this year. The weather was certainly not a problem. The forecast increase of wind on Sunday afternoon never materialized on the route I took back to Oak Harbor. I believe the Strait was also rather benign going towards Admiralty Inlet.

All in all it was a great event. I would like to thank Greg and his crew for an excellent weekend in Roche Harbor. Bravo Zulu.

Unfortunately my camera went US on arrival so I do not have photos this year.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Don Prior wrote:I do not know the numbers but there was a good crowd. It may be that I know more people at this function now but it seemed more friendly and everyone stopped to talk or comment on all the boats in attendance.

I have not yet heard what the "incident" was for this year. I know of Intruder's exhaust problem two years back and Erics fuel problem last year but have not heard of anything for this year. The weather was certainly not a problem. The forecast increase of wind on Sunday afternoon never materialized on the route I took back to Oak Harbor. I believe the Strait was also rather benign going towards Admiralty Inlet.

Don, glad you enjoyed it. From what I heard, you were not alone and that's a good thing. We officially had 82 boats with over 210 adult attendees, plus several kids—more seem to show up every year and that's also a good thing, in my humble opinion as a parent of 3 of those in attendance. I'm not sure if the word did not get out well enough but for the few kids and parents that showed up for it, movie night in the tent was fun—"Finding Nemo" and popcorn.

I don't know of any instances except my relatively minor one—my inverter crapped out on me on the way up somehow and we had no 110 upon arrival. No shore power, no generator power. We finally, with the enormous help of Byron Richards and my colleague, Scott Blake, bypassed the inverter and were good for the weekend.

Personally, I think the biggest improvement was switching from the movie screens and projectors for seminars to the LCD monitors and computer hookups. They were so much more visible.

I also was very impressed with the invitation GB gave us to attend an open forum of future products. We are very lucky to have them here in Seattle and to have them sincerely want to know what their current owners think about the product. There were some very good comments/suggestions given at the forum and they seemed to really listen and care.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask any of you who were in attendance to provide feedback, good, bad or indifferent. You can post it here or send one of us (Greg Richmond of myself) a PM or an email. But please let us know.

Thanks,
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby uwhuskies00 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:12 am

I have to say one of the things we regret in selling our Gb is the Rendezvous, we attended the 2005 and 2006 event and they are still one of the best memories we have boating( I am sure people remember the storm of 2006!.) We now have an Ocean Alexander which we love but the people surrounding GB our top notch. I really hope the event takes off again when the economy turns around because it is really a special event. Hope everyone has a great summer cruising season. Shane and Wendy previous owners Cantamar Alaskan 53
uwhuskies00
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:19 am

A few more photographs................
Attachments
EARLY DEPARTURE 2.jpg
EARLY DEPARTURE.jpg
INSPECTION BY THE KAYAK PATROL.jpg
EARLY MORNING DOCK WALK 5.jpg
EARLY MORNING DOCK WALK 4.jpg
EARLY MORNING DOCK WALK 3.jpg
EARLY MORNING DOCK WALK 2.jpg