The end of the Stan Miller GB Rendevous

The end of the Stan Miller GB Rendevous

Postby Movin' On » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:44 am

I reeived a letter from the local GB dealer, Stan Miller Yachts, that they were no longer going to support the GB Rendevous at the Catalina Island Isthmus. They had been running it for 30 years and I had attended several. It was a great party. They claim the cancellation was due to lack of attendance, but I always saw plenty of boats there when I went. This is possibly another indication of the impact of the bad economy on yacht brokers. Does anyone in SoCal have any ideas for replacing the rendevous? It was always great to get together with other GB owners for a weekend of great food, drink, and conversation.
Howard Schutter
Movin' On
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:14 pm

I was the chair For Puget Sound this year, we had over 80 boats and well over 250 people and this was a poor year. One of our resources are boat yards in our area and other suppliers. When the boat show is held in Seattle we take this time to talk to everyone to see who is interested in coming to the event to show off there stuff and we charge them to attend. We have a board of 7 to 9 members that meet throughout the year. I don't know if you would like to get this involved but its a great time. If you ever wanted to talk about let me know and I will give you the details as to how our group handles everything. Good luck Greg
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby dstong » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Wow - big bummer! I've had my 1985 GB 42 Motoryacht for about 2.5 years , but have not made it to the Stan Miller Rendevous yet...was hoping to go this year.

Has anyone contacted SM Yachts to find out the reason for canceling? I've heard great things about the event and was hoping to experience it myself...
dstong
Supporting Member

Postby Paul S » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Too bad indeed, it was a fun event.

Wouldn't take much to setup an informal rendevous on GBWoddies.com, just a simple pot luck/BBQ/check out all the GB's kinda deal.

Paul
Paul S
Supporting Member

Postby K Dowling » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:53 am

If someone will step up to lead the event, they can ask SM for a to do list. While SM should not give out the e-mail list, they may send one or two e-mails on the organizers behalf telling folks who to contact to attend or to assist with the unsponsored event.
Kevin Dowling
Atlanta GA
K Dowling
Supporting Member