Another Winter Cruise on SF Bay

Another Winter Cruise on SF Bay

Postby K Dowling » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Just to be fair. Waited out the gale force gusts in midweek for a rainy cruise to Alameda, an island on the eastern shore of the bay. No other traffic to speak of except an intrepid sailor with the Spinnaker set.
Kevin Dowling
Atlanta GA
Attachments
DSC_0702.jpg
Western Span of the Bay Bridge dead ahead.
K Dowling
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Kevin

I like winter cruising as well. I have attached a photo taken on 2nd January 2011 when returning to Anacortes from Sidney, BC.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in Calgary
Attachments
IMG00010-20110102-1233.jpg
Heading for Peavine Pass
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm

I finally got my family to give winter cruising a go and so far, so good. Last weekend, we kicked off the kids' mid-winter break with a 3-day run up to Port Townsend. Ride up was very lumpy—ebbing current on the stern with 25-30 kn winds on the bow, so we ducked into Kingston for the first night, but continued to P.T. in nice weather the next AM Spent two great days there. I highly recommend the new Northwest Maritime Center right there at Point Hudson Marina. We woke up to hail and sleet on Tuesday morning for our run back south, but at least this time the wind was from the stern so the ride was much more bearable.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
Attachments
P1020109.jpg
Fort building on the beach
P1020114.jpg
Awakening to a pretty coating of hail/snow
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby kdibnah » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:39 pm

I love winter cruising, I particularly like vacant, abandoned docks and anchorages.

I am, however, dismayed to see that BOTH boats pictured above are not properly dressed! Neither of you are flying your PSGB burgees. I think some sort of disciplinary action may be in order... shame on you.
kdibnah
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Ken

You are just jealous as I know you can not cruise in February unless it is on a ice boat. Have you ever participated in the Quebec winter games races across the river? I watched them once and decided they were all crazy.

I never fly my PSGBOA burgee when moving as I do not like it flapping in front of me when I am driving. I do mount it when alongside away from my own marina (now Anacortes).

Fair winds

Don Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Ken—guilty as charged. Here's my excuse, weak as it may be. A few weeks ago when we had some bizarre very strong winds, I went down to the boat the next day to check on everything and found that the wind had tossed the boats around so much at dock that my burgee staff, which I had mistakenly left in place after our Thanksgiving cruise, was pushed up against a sprinkler main at the dock's center walkway (as you may recall, our docks have a "butterfly" style roof—low at the center, high at the outside edges of the slips). The "collision" splintered the staff right at the top of the bronze tube that fits into the stainless sleeve on the rail. It didn't sever the staff completely, just fractured the wood, bending the staff. It is now next to our front door awaiting a visit to someone who might be able to repair it without my having to buy a new one ($$$$)
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby kdibnah » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Listen to the ad hominem and the excuses! I shall write an indignant letter to the board and ask for appropriate discipline (for you, I mean!). Perhaps I could be bought off? Perhaps.

Damn right I'm jealous, we had freezing rain here and then about 5 cm of snow, then it warmed up to a balmy plus 1 to really stir up the slush. Tonight it will be -11 and I will be tucked up in front of a fire, remembering lovely mid-winter trips to Connover Cove and just sitting at Snug Cove with a warm drink, dressed in woolies, listening to the Wabasto huff and thinking how lucky I was.

As far as the ice racing, everyone in Quebec is crazy. Everyone.
kdibnah
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Damn, the cold sure makes you cranky! Or is it just being boatless. :twisted:

BTW, I've been in touch with the new owner of Polar Star, nee JoMeKe. We hope to cross paths sometime during the cruising season. If you're nicer to me, I'll report on her well-being.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Don Prior wrote:I never fly my PSGBOA burgee when moving as I do not like it flapping in front of me when I am driving.

We always fly our club burgee underway as it makes for a great wind indicator. We don't have a fancy electronic weather station on our boat, but the burgee is a good reference as to the relative wind when we're moving or maneuvering. Very helpful at times.
Marin
Attachments
05.jpg
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 am

Ken

My jack staff broke off just above the brass (bronze?) tube at the base a few years back. I believe it was hit by my forward dock line when the line was thrown up to the bow by a dock hand.

I just put it on my lathe and turned a new section for the brass tube. It makes the staff about 4" shorter but works fine. The lathe leaves a small mark on the top of the upper cap but it may be filled or just ignored as it is very small

Ken B. if you can get the staff to me in Oak Harbor with the brass tube (for sizing) I will do the same for you.

Ken D, I know what you mean about everyone in Quebec being crazy although there was this sweet young thing back in the early '60's from Montreal.......! Never mind!!

Fair winds

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Winter Boating in Prince William Sound

Postby sundog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 am

Thought I would share what winter boating looked like in Prince William Sound. Come on spring!!!

Cheers All

Joe from the Sundog Crew
Attachments
IMG_1560.jpg
sundog
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 pm

You win, Joe!

Don‚ I may take you up on that if I can find an excuse to get to Oak Harbor in the next few weeks. Thanks!
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member