The Rescue of the 28 foot Newton

Postby J.J.Jones » Thu May 19, 2011 10:51 am

I think it is interesting that I do carry a rigged towing bridle in the lazarette but I never thought to ask the Kathy to get it out. When I arrived I was shocked to see how close they actually were to the rocks, so I got close enough so Kathy could throw a 5/8 dock line over and just get them out of danger. The Newton was pretty light and was easy to tow.

I never did hear a VHF transmission from the Newton so I can assume that there were no working radios onboard. Early on in the event Doug Wadden aboard Bowhaus passed a cell phone number to the CG.
The CG did a nice job of not asking too many questions when I told them I would try to get them away from the rocks, sometimes it is best to keep the radio chatter to a minimum. I do hope the people on the Newton were speaking to the CG the entire time. I could see that they had changed clothing and had put on life jackets, I really think they were preparing to go in the water before the boat went on the rocks.

J.J.Jones
"Intruder"
GB 42-529
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby Tagish » Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm

For what it is worth, this website has a nice set of photos and description of a towing bridle setup. Just scale up for GB size cleats. What is nice is how the second leg of the bridle has a shackle/pulley and a float. You basically get a single line on and get them from the rocks and then hook up the second leg to ease strain on the cleat. Fast, easy, and relatively safe: http://meiere.com/USCGAUX/Facility/Operational.html

It has been my experience that it isn't a matter of "if", but "when" you are going to tow somebody. Every summer I seem to tow 3 to 5 boats on Lake Washington over the course of the summer.
Jon McGlone
Tagish
Supporting Member