Best cruising season San Juans & north

Best cruising season San Juans & north

Postby Annie M. » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:36 pm

We're talking to someone about a boat swap - New England to San Juans. What's the best season in that area? How long should we think about? I know the Maine coast tends to be more fog free in Sept and still be before the more serious weather sets in; spring can be cold, etc. What about that area?
Thanks, Jeff
Annie M.

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Summer in the PNW generally starts July 5th. Often August is called Fog'ust. September can be great with fewer boats and sun with a few more clouds thrown in. The two rain free weeks are generally the last week in July and the 1st week in August. That said every year is a little different. A couple of weeks will hit the highlights of the US San Juans and the Canadian Gulf Islands. Further north into Canada you can add as much time as you can afford. Winds are generally light most of the summer unless they're not but that doesn't last long. Have them help you plan your route for either anchoring or docks or a little of both. Lots to see so you'll have to pick and choose.
Dave

Postby K Dowling » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:04 am

Anacortes Yacht Charters has sample itineraries on their web site at:

http://ayc.com/cruisingitineraries.cfm

Even though the San Juan and Gulf sections make up just a small part of the Waggoner's Guide, I recommend it as a source of ideas. The extensive introduction is a gold mine of general information on the area.

The Dreamspeaker guides are spendy ($50 new, each, for the SJs and Gulfs) but each is a work of art.

http://www.dreamspeakerguides.com/

Enjoy!
Kevin Dowling
Atlanta GA
K Dowling
Supporting Member