Thank you

Thank you

Postby Don Prior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am

Marin

Thanks for the use of your slip for a quick lunch stop in Bellingham on Saturday. Also please thank the Admiral for calling ahead. That was very thoughtful.

The old GB 42 fitted in very nicely with lots of room to spare. I was there for about two hours while I inspected the ongoing construction in the marina and had lunch.

The weather was fantastic for the rest of the day so I imagine you had a very nice afternoon and evening at Eagle Harbor.

Again, thank you.

Fair winds.

Don
Brasbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Don--- You are more than welcome and we're glad you had a good time in Bellingham. They have been dredging the fairway and the location of F and G docks for quite awhile now. I've got to believe they are getting close to the end of that phase. Next will come the new pilings and finally the new docks. At the time they put us on the guest dock they said it would be until "spring." So we'll see....

Here are some shots we took Saturday and Sunday over in Eagle Harbor, which I know you have visited before. For those who haven't, first shot is heading out of Bellingham Bay. The mountains are the Coast Range in BC. If the camera had been 1,000' higher you'd see Vancouver.

The big raft of diving birds was on the bay, too.

Third shot was the view from our buoy in Eagle Harbor.

The sunset shot with the fog was shot Saturday evening.

Last shot was Sunday morning before our own departure.
Marin
Attachments
Eagle 8.jpg
Eagle 5.jpg
Eagle 4.jpg
Eagle 2.jpg
Eagle 9.jpg
Eagle 7.jpg
Eagle 6.jpg
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:57 am

Nice photos Marin.

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

Fantastic photos. What camera do you use, Marin?
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Stretch Head wrote:Fantastic photos. What camera do you use, Marin?

For digital work I use two, both of them so-called "ultra-zoom" cameras. They look a bit like SLRs but they're not in that they do not use interchangeable lenses but instead use a single lens with a huge zoom range. When I started digital photography a requirement of mine was no more cases of lenses to drag around.

One is a Panasonic Lumix FZ-50 (no longer made I believe). This has an absolutely fantastic Leica optically stabilized lens with a 35mm equivelent optical zoom range of 35mm to 420mm. Also the eyepiece viewfinder (video not optical) was rated as the best available at the time.

We recently added a second camera, a new Cannon SX30is. I don't like the ergonomics of this camera nearly as much as the Panasonic, and it has the typical total overload of cutsie consumer features that simply make the camera quite unintuitive to use from a "professional" point of view. If Microsoft designed a camera, this would be it--- a ton of crap you don't need that makes it harder to find and use what you do need. And the eyepiece viewfinder is nothing to write home about.

BUT..... the SX30is has an absolutely amazing lens even though the zoom is single-speed power-operated, which I hate. (The Leica lens on the FZ-50 is manual zoom). The 35mm equivelent optical zoom range of the Canon optically stabilized lens is 24mm to 840mm. The shot of the diving birds in my photo sequence above, for example, was taken at the full 840mm, hand held, from the deck of the moving boat (in smooth water).

So I'm not at all in love with the Canon camera but I am with its lens. Whereas there is nothing about the Lumix FZ-50 that I don't like. Other than I wish its lens went wider, say to a 35mm equivelent of 18mm.

All that said, the camera is big part of the story but not all of it. While the files straight from both cameras are extremely good, I usually do at least a degree of color balance and correction, contrast, saturation, etc. in Photoshop.

For film work--- yes, I do still have the rare occasion where I need to shoot film--- I use a Hasselblad. Which does have a case of lenses to drag around :-)

All the photos from Eagle Harbor were shot with the Canon. The ones below were all shot with the Lumix.
Marin
Attachments
Knight2.JPG
12-Lining.jpg
14-Denman Peak.jpg
LaPerouse.jpg
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks Marin, I can definitely tell there was "glass" in those pictures. I haven't bought a good digital and still have two 35mm with a bunch of lenses. I have to agree with your evaluation of canon lately. Not what they used to be.

Great shots. You have a great eye. :D
Capt Head

GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Canon's lenses are excellent. We have them on our HD video cameras at work (we're talking $35,000 lenses here so they had better be great :-) )

And their lenses for still photography are also excellent. It's their consumer, or pro-sumer, camera bodies that I have so far not been impressed with, mainly in terms of their ergonomics. Canon's EOS series of cameras seem to be very well recieved by professionals. Several of our top photographers here at Boeing favored and used Canon until the company decided to standardize on Nikon, much to the photographer's disappointment.

But cameras have achieved the same plateau of "let's add features because we can" syndrome that has become common in everything from computer applications to smartphones.

For the amateur it's probably great because they can do all these "cool" things with the selection of a menu item. But it's frustrating to pros who know how to do the "cool" things without all the bells and whistles and who find the fancy features just get in the way of the creative process.

That's why I like the Lumix FZ-50 so much. At the time, it was rated the best of the ultra-zoom cameras and it does everything I could ever want it to do and no more. It's very user-friendly, is physically extremely well laid out--- no accidentally hitting buttons you don't want to hit--- and it's fast to use.

My ideal combination (of the cameras I'm familiar with) would be the Lumix FZ-50 body with the Canon SX30is lens on it.
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member