Swinomish Channel

Swinomish Channel

Postby Don Prior » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:11 pm

There has been considerable comment on this form as well as discussion at the rendezvous about the water depth at the south end of the Swinomish Channel. This is the channel between Anacortes, La Conner and Dugualla Bay that bypasses Deception Pass.

I am happy to report that there has been dredging going on in the channel for approximately three weeks. I can see the channel from my house and to date all the work has been west of Goat Island north of the rock breakwater extending into Dugualla Bay. A clam shell dredge is loading into barges which is slow work but they are moving along the channel.

I will post a note when the dredge leaves the area.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Great news, Don. I have been watching that issue in the weekly Local Notices to Mariners and had been wondering how it was going. Keep us informed!
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm

The dredging of the south west end of the Swinomish Channel has been completed. The dredge has been removed from the channel.

There are new red buoys along the north side of the stone breakwater which slightly narrows the approved channel.

I do not know what the new dredged depth is but I am sure it will be okay for any Grand Banks down to a zero tide and probably lower than that. I will post additional data on the depth when I take Brassbounder through next time. I was through the channel two weeks back in a MAKO 192 but there was no depth sounder onboard.

Fair winds

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa.
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Nootka » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm

The posted dredged depth is minus 12 feet MLLW for the 11 miles of the Swinomish - should give most of us plenty of room for awhile...

Correction addendum - traveled from the south entrance yesterday 9/1/13 and found 5.5' (corrected) depth mid channel. Tide was 1.5 so we were fine but deep keel sailboats were having problems and a large commercial vessel was aground at 10:30 am on a rising tide. Do not travel on a minus tide. Depth is not minus 12 feet as claimed. Either not properly or completely dredged or the channel silted in really quickly.
Seeing lots of other posts of the problem.
Cheers,
R
Nootka

Postby jglabrown » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Any updates on the depths of the south end of the Swinomish? I've seen the latest Notice to Mariners, and it sounds as though transiting at other than high tide (only about 8' during the day this time of year) is not a great idea. Is that true?
jglabrown
Supporting Member

Postby Nootka » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 pm

The south channel has definitely shoaled. The Corps of Engineers have funding to dredge the south channel again this year. For now the port says to "steer around the high spots"...
Best to pick your tide.
Nootka

Postby jglabrown » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks. Is anyone there talking about marking or otherwise identifying the high spots? Grounding at high tide is never a good thing.
jglabrown
Supporting Member

Postby JP » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 am

I went thru today at 1.5 hrs after published high tide. Shallowest depth I saw was 13 ft under the keel. But I think it all depends on where you are "laterally" on the course. I searched just a bit and found 21 feet toward one side and 13 feet the other way. Could be less in some spots? There are definitely some high spots on the west end and noticeably better depths east of those. Not much help, but that's the story and I'm stick'in to it.
JP
Supporting Member

Postby jglabrown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Actually, that's a lot of help. Thank you.
jglabrown
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Also be very aware that a LNM issued the first week of April (unintentionally and painfully verified by another of our members recently) warns of a submerged tree near the South Entrance Buoy #2:

WASHINGTON – STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA TO STRAIT OF GEORGIA – SWINOMISH CHANNEL SOUTH ENTRANCE – Submerged tree
The USCG has verified a submerged tree is in the Swinomish Channel South Entrance in the vicinity of the northeast side of Swinomish Channel South Entrance Lighted Buoy 2 (LLNR 18790). The tree was photographed at a +0.4 foot tide at approximately 48-21.6676N, 122-33.2537W. Mariners transit at the slowest safe speed, and use extreme caution.
Chart 18427 LNM: 13/14
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Bernie Tresner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Here is a chart showing the location of the tree.

http://bitterendblog.com/?p=20678
Bernie Tresner
GB 32-219
Bernie Tresner

Postby Don Prior » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:24 pm

I will verify the location of the tree. My house is on the east side of Whidbey Island facing the Swinomish Channel. The tree is visible from my deck as stated at less than 0.0 tides.

The channel is due to be dredged again but I have not heard the timeline yet.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Checked the entrance of the Swinomish Channel today at low tide (-1.1' at approximately 1230) and the tree stump is no longer visible. It may still be there but it is not sticking up anymore.

There was a large Corp of Engineers vessel hanging around a few days back so it might be that the infamous tree stump is gone.

I was not in my GB but was checking with binoculars from my house. I could see the stump last week from my deck not anymore.

Fair winds.

Don
Brassbounder
GB 42-139
Anacortes, Wa
Don Prior
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:05 pm

I was sitting in La Conner today having lunch and watched a Corps snag boat cruise by northbound (from the direction of the tree) with several trees and logs on the deck. Certainly by now they have removed that tree? Anyone know anything?
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby kolive » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:26 am

I came through the channel in our 36' on June 10th at low tide. I did not see the tree or stump anywhere. I stayed in the chart plotter marked channels and followed the range markers and buoys on the way through.

We moved our boat from Anacortes to Vashon Island for our new moorage. Saves us 2 hours of car time but sacrifices the quick access to the islands.
kolive
Supporting Member