anyone cruised Coos Bay to San Francisco bay in a 32-36 GB?

anyone cruised Coos Bay to San Francisco bay in a 32-36 GB?

Postby bfloyd4445 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:26 pm

I love the central california delta and was curious to know if anyone has made a trip to or from SF bay to ports in Oregon or northern California/

Thanks
bfloyd4445

Postby grich737 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:55 am

I know my 36 is to fast at Idle to troll with for salmon, you would need a trolling valve is what I have been told. I have a friend that uses a drogue chute and it slows him down pretty good
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:06 am

Years ago, I bought a GB32 from a commercial fisherman that lived in La Conner. He used it to commercial fish for salmon off the Oregon and Washington coast. He had it set up with a diesel stove in the galley for constant heat and cooking. He would stay out in all weather, trolling for whatever salmon was running, only coming in to offload his catch and for fuel and supplies. He did it for years quite successfully and was quite pleased with the boat's performance.

The GB32 will troll at a good speed for silvers but I would jog and zig-zag our GB32 when trolling for kings. We caught fish on the GB32 and our Alaskan 45 using those methods, no problem.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby bfloyd4445 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:21 pm

grich737 wrote:I know my 36 is to fast at Idle to troll with for salmon, you would need a trolling valve is what I have been told. I have a friend that uses a drogue chute and it slows him down pretty good

so at idle you are going faster than 2-3 mph?
bfloyd4445

Postby bfloyd4445 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:Years ago, I bought a GB32 from a commercial fisherman that lived in La Conner. He used it to commercial fish for salmon off the Oregon and Washington coast. He had it set up with a diesel stove in the galley for constant heat and cooking. He would stay out in all weather, trolling for whatever salmon was running, only coming in to offload his catch and for fuel and supplies. He did it for years quite successfully and was quite pleased with the boat's performance.

The GB32 will troll at a good speed for silvers but I would jog and zig-zag our GB32 when trolling for kings. We caught fish on the GB32 and our Alaskan 45 using those methods, no problem.

thats very interesting. Thanks. In my area there are lots of 30 foot class commercial salmon boats most with a single engine. Most have a bit wider beam than the GB as well. I would like to talk to the guy you mention above.
bfloyd4445

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:21 pm

I think you are talking apples and oranges when you try to compare a 30' +- commercial salmon boat with a GB32. Different hull shapes generally. Hard chine versus round bottoms, normally, and different action in a seaway.

But I would suggest you go talk to a few for their experiences and thoughts.

I don't know that I recall his name, might be Bill Peterson, not sure.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby bfloyd4445 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:I think you are talking apples and oranges when you try to compare a 30' +- commercial salmon boat with a GB32. Different hull shapes generally. Hard chine versus round bottoms, normally, and different action in a seaway.

But I would suggest you go talk to a few for their experiences and thoughts.

I don't know that I recall his name, might be Bill Peterson, not sure.

maybe but i still would love to talk to the fisherman you mentioned in your posting.......round bottoms?/ Dont think round bottoms are common in oregons commercial fleet., Most of them are really old trawler looking vessels
bfloyd4445

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Please do some research on the different hull shapes, commercial fishing hull shapes and trawler shapes.

The differences are below the waterline for the most part.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby bfloyd4445 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:Please do some research on the different hull shapes, commercial fishing hull shapes and trawler shapes.

The differences are below the waterline for the most part.

Thanks for the suggestions Bob. I will end up with a trawler maybe a willard, defever or GB. Like the Defever's cause they are made on the west coast but know nothing about them

Best wishes
Britt
bfloyd4445