Heading North

Heading North

Postby djleu » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 am

Debbie and I have departed Bellingham and are working our way north aboard our boat, Change of Latitude. We plan to get to Juneau in late June and use it as home base to explore the area, departing in mid-August to return.

If interested, the blog go our trip is at: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/col/

Cheers,

Don
Don and Debbie Leu
Change of Latitude
42 CL - 2005 - #1549
Bellingham, WA
djleu
Supporting Member

Postby kolive » Sat May 18, 2013 9:32 am

We are very jealous. Have a great trip, we'll be following your blog.
kolive
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Sat May 18, 2013 9:39 am

That's a great cruise to take, Don, I'm sure you guys will have a great time.

There are many places to see and things to do. Must see and do places on our list would be Red Bluff Inlet/Bay on the east side of Baranof Island, where we fished two shrimp pots pulling them twice a day and each time coming back with about 3~ gallons of prawns each time. We shrimped for a week and froze about 1800 prawn tails in water and they were just the same a year later, the best tasting we had ever had. We also ate our fill every day and made some great shrimp broth with the heads which we also froze for later use.

Another memorable place was Salisbury Sound on the north end of Baranof Island after we left Sitka where we fished and caught numerous Silver Salmon while waiting for the tide to change for passage through the narrows. The best salmon fishing I have experienced anywhere.

We had reservations for Glacier Bay but when we called a couple days ahead as suggested, we were told that all traffic in GB was at a standstill for several days already and for the foreseeable days ahead due to heavy fog that lasted all day making transits very slow. We chose to skip GB and go to Tracy Arm instead where there are a couple glaciers that seem to be calving all the time and had a great time. Distances were much less than at GB to go from place to place.

We watched for bears all the way up to Juneau and all the way back south and only saw one in the city itself, going through the garbage until Lowe Inlet.

It was only at Lowe Inlet (nice name :) ) that we saw many bears fishing at the head of the inlet where the river entered over some falls. We anchored right at the head of the inlet on the shelf (set your anchor alarm) in the river flow and had spectacular views of all the bears and salmon going up the falls. Spent several days there. Great experience.

All in all, about the best 5 months onboard Dreamer we ever had. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Kakmtwo » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 am

Hi Don and Debbie,

You'll have a great trip. Bob and I really loved exploring behind Ahclakerho Channel in Smith Inlet on the way up the Inside Passage.

In Alaska, we loved exploring the Tebenkof Wilderness, and on your way to Red Bluff Bay, be sure to stop in Gut Bay and enter the beauty of Mickie's Winter Basin. It's spectacular.

I'm sure a trip to Pack Creek is on your agenda as well...

We'll be watching your trip with great envy,

Karen and Bob Minkus
OceanFlyer
GB 49CL - #126
Kakmtwo

Thanks!

Postby djleu » Sun May 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks, Bob and Karen and Bob for these wonderful tips! We welcome all suggestions for beautiful places, great salmon and halibut fishing, crabbing, and shrimping spots. We can hardly believe that we have such an extended period of time on our boat. So special! We are very very fortunate and hope to enjoy every second.

Cheers,

Don and Debbie
Don and Debbie Leu
Change of Latitude
42 CL - 2005 - #1549
Bellingham, WA
djleu
Supporting Member

Postby Tim Whiting » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 am

I have lived in Juneau all my life and commercial fished half of my life in northern SE Alaska. I promised myself I would someday see all of SE Alaska, every bay, river and harbor. For the last 5 summers that is what I have done aboard the 32' GB "Lucky Me Too". Best thing I have ever done for myself. I have a couple of more inlets to do and have put the boat up for sale but for a channel less taken I would suggest on the way home to go through Rocky Pass just South of Kake, down through El Capitan Pass to Craig and then to Hydaburg, through Cordova Bay and out around Cape Chacon via Eureka Channel. You will end up south of Ketchikan right at the Canadian border and can either go to Prince Rupert or Ketchikan.

This and the outside coast of Baranof Is. for my money are the prettiest places in SE Alaska, however it is all pretty. We will be traveling here and there this summer and will give you a call if we see you. We will be the one towing a 14' Lund for exploring salt chucks and rivers.

Tim Whiting
Tim Whiting
Supporting Member