Fishing

Fishing

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Got back yesterday from our annual halibut/salmon fishing trip to the north end of Vancouver Island. Caught lots of fish this year including this one.

To top it all off, on the way in from our last morning of fishing my wife saw a humpback breach about a quarter mile away. I stopped the boat and shut everything down and we drifted, waiting to see if we'd see a whale again.

I had just finished thinking, "Wouldn't it be interesting if a whale surfaced right next to us," when one did. About 20 feet away. So we're in our 17' Arima and humpbacks range from 40 to 50 feet long. It was very much like having a submarine come up next to us. The whale circled us slowly, submerging and surfacing as it took its "pre-dive" breaths. Then it did it's "humpback" thing and porpoised into a deep dive and was gone.

All in all, a nice vacation....

(It appears the picture attachment function is not working so I'll save the photo for posting later.)
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby kolive » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:49 am

It looks like we will not make it up to Malcolm Island this year to fish. Love the area there. Looking forward to your photos.
kolive
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:45 am

Here is the photo to accompany my earlier post, thanks to Bob who has gotten the photo post problem resolved.
Marin
Attachments
image.jpg
Marin Faure
Supporting Member