Roche Harbor Rendezvous 2015

Postby djleu » Thu May 14, 2015 12:18 pm

What was said? We were unable to attend this year because of a wedding and travel. Most curious!

Cheers,

Don
Don and Debbie Leu
Change of Latitude
42 CL - 2005 - #1549
Bellingham, WA
djleu
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:01 pm

We were not able to go due to family plans so please post some pictures so we can see what we missed out on if you can Greg
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby J.J.Jones » Fri May 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Ken,
It is too bad we have such poorly constructed boats!!!!!
According to Plan Beach
J.J.J.
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby J.J.Jones » Fri May 15, 2015 1:41 pm

That is Palm Beach!! I hate spell check sometimes
J.J.J.
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Fri May 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Don,

GB sent Dave, their new head of NA sales (took Tucker West's place). He gave a "State of the Yard" address. In summary, Palm Beach (http://pbmotoryachts.com) whose management is now the GB management after GB bought the company, is making some significant changes to the entire line as well as beginning to build some of their boats in the GB yard. And there is no question, at least in my mind, that Palm Beach builds a quality product.

The new boats will incorporate some very interesting technological and construction technique advances and the designs will become more contemporary. In the process, several of the models have been immediately dropped (there is only one Aleutian left). They will be using more composite materials to reduce weight and lower the center of gravity, the hull designs will change (again) and they are going to all Volvo power with a choice of shaft or pod drives.

There was of course a lot more said and, from a business standpoint, many of the changes make some sense and there are some good ideas there. But the general feeling among the attendees seemed to be that the message could have been better tailored to the audience. They are most certainly heading in a different direction and that is of concern to many. I will let others fill in the gaps.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby djleu » Fri May 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Thank you for this information, Ken! I wish I had been able to attend.

Cheers,

Don
Don and Debbie Leu
Change of Latitude
42 CL - 2005 - #1549
Bellingham, WA
djleu
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Sat May 16, 2015 3:54 am

JoMeKe wrote:They are most certainly heading in a different direction and that is of concern to many. I will let others fill in the gaps.

Surprising, when a company makes a world wide reputation in building quality long distance low maintenance cruising trawlers, that they would enter a market already flooded with high fuel demandl, fast high maintenance vessels.

I wasn't at the meeting so I'm reading between the lines but if I was in a position to buy a new trawler it would probably be a Nordhven rather than a fast Grand Banks. Fortunately, I own a very practical cheap to run old style GB.

Only my opinion.

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 am

I think the problems or difference in the direction the company is heading is due to a change in the management of the company from one generation to the "new" generation.

The son has been in charge for quite a while and that appears to be the reason for the many changes, none of which I see as beneficial to the company or the market.

They forget or don't know, what made the company successful to begin with.

Sad to see, but it happens frequently.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby JoMeKe » Sat May 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:The son has been in charge for quite a while and that appears to be the reason for the many changes, none of which I see as beneficial to the company or the market.

They forget or don't know, what made the company successful to begin with.

Sad to see, but it happens frequently.

Rob, the son, has actually been gone as CEO for a few years now as the Board of Directors restructured the management, including a new chairman. That no doubt precipitated many of the subsequent changes, but the purchase of Palm Beach last year seems to be what has generated the most recent and radical changes. Prior to that, there was at least some continuity at middle management levels, but over the last 6-8 months, there are very few from the old guard who are left at any level except perhaps at the factory (I hear Ken Loh is still there, thank goodness). That is not to pass judgement on the old or new guard, but is just the way things have transpired.
Ken Bowles

NW Explorations

Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun May 17, 2015 6:48 am

Boy, it sure doesn't take long to fall behind in current events without good input!

Thanks for the update, Ken. It's nice to know the current status.

Unfortunately, the new status adds another layer of separation between the ideas that made GB successful since inception in the 1960s and the current direction GB has taken since the changes were instituted.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby JP » Tue May 19, 2015 12:29 am

Another change discussed was no more gelcoat. Only paint; expected to last 10 years before a re-do is needed.
JP
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Wed May 20, 2015 4:12 am

Paints have come on a long way in the past few years. I can see a good reason for not having gel coats when modern paints are as good as they are.

One example is that the new Queen Mary is painted and its expected to last 30 years. Another is aircraft paint, I can't think of a more aggressive environment for a painted surface,..... -30 in flight and + 30 on the ground.

Why do we suffer so much with our boat paint 😬

Tom
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed May 20, 2015 8:44 am

Why do we suffer so much with our boat paint 😬

Because we refuse to use the new modern paints and continue with the old paints we are used to. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Thu May 21, 2015 6:15 am

Point taken Bob...... And the salt stings.

Tom.
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Tom Overs
Supporting Member