bulwarks

Post your photos of Repairs and/or Outfitting projects

bulwarks

Postby grich737 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 am

I started some time ago on the bulwarks project this winter and wanted to post a few pictures. I had an issue at the glue joints, they were cracking an thus cracking the paint over time. My bulwarks are solid and laid up mahogany strips that are screwed down together. Originally I thought to use a router with a 16th and 1/8 bit to open the seams up and apply the epoxy. I changed my thinking and used a sharpened point on a file end bent over. I removed all the paint down to wood and reefed all the bad seams. I purchased from this company http://www.epoxyproducts.com/kevlar4u.html Its a 1 to 1 mix and more like a paste when mixed. I applied with a one inch putty knife cleaning up any epoxy left of either side of the seam. I found that the epoxy was fairly easy to sand with eighty grit and with all the bulwarks I used about ten sheets on our 6in random orbital sander. We are in the fairing stage now with the first coat of fairing compound applied and sanded and the second coat is to be sanded this weekend. The second coat was nothing more than spot checking lines that I may have missed. I going to primer them next weekend as the weather is warming up above 50 in the boat house using a epoxy base two part primer and paint. I will post pictures as progress is made.

Items used:
metabo paint remover
6inch sander
one inch putty knife
file bent over and sharpened to a point
epoxy as discribed
1 gal Acetone to clean prior to applying epoxy
80 grit sandpaper
150grit sandpaper
fairing compound
1qt epoxy primer
1 qt actavator
1qt bushing thinner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grich737
Supporting Member

Re: bulwarks

Postby Barry L » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:19 am

Looking good. Folks who have never worked on bullworks can really appreciate what a back breaking chore it is!
Barry
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby kildarian » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Still believe they are Gunnels, not Bulwarks :D !
kildarian

Postby grich737 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Ok I will bite what is the difference please explain Greg
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:27 am

Hmmm?? Cat and pigeons comes to mind...

From memory.

Gunwale is the top of the Bulwark in our cases it's the teak topping.

Bulwark is the planking to (in theory) prevent people falling overboard.

Ok I'll go and hide for a while so this can continue to be thrashed out :P

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Well we finally had some 70 deg weather and I was able to shoot the paint and I think it came out pretty well. The first picture is from about 2 feet away the next is from 4 ft away and then one standing on our dock. I tried a new paint call EMC2 two part epoxy paint. I also used there high build primmer and it is also a 2 part. I will say that the primmer is high build and I was very surprised on how well it went on and sanded. I have used other high build primers before and this one truly out did them all. I roll the primer on using one quart and activator. This gave me two quarts of course. I was able to lay down two coats and had some left over for touch up if needed. I sprayed the color with 2 quarts that gave me 3 coats. I used a 3 stage hvlp. Time will tell how it hold up but I will say I am please with the product so far with the ease of application. This weekend we plan on putting on the bronze rub rail back on and in a week I will look close at it and see if i need to polish anything out. One thing about this paint is you can buy rattle cans of your color from the company if you need to do any touch up anywhere another plus I think. Just wanted to share Greg Sorry about the pictures I don't know why they did that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby Chesapeake » Fri May 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Looks great Greg! The pics straighten out when you click on them.
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member