Intracostal Snowbird

Intracostal Snowbird

Postby charlesglenn2 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm planning to take Imagine from Annapolis to St Augustine next Tuesday. If anyone along the intracostal waterway has any information on conditions after Matthew could you please share them with me.

Charlie
charlesglenn2

Postby shanti » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 pm

http://ahoy.dockwa.com/hurricane-matthe ... 20Dropdown

That link has everything you need to know
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby roger and anne howell » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:21 am

Hi,
We're currently in Indian Creek VA waiting for the floods to recede. Current reports have ICW in pretty good shape with some floating debris. Dismal Swamp remains closed and there is an intermittent rumour of North Landing Swing Bridge closing 22Oct-4Nov, which would shut down the Virginia Cut as well. We plan on calling Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake for an update when we get closer.
Have a good trip,
Roger
roger and anne howell

Postby charlesglenn2 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the Dockwa site and found it to be very useful. I also called the bridge tender at the North Landing bridge and he confirmed that the bridge was operable and would open as advertised.

Imagine is fueled and provisioned so with a good weather forecast we'll be on our way Tuesday morning
charlesglenn2

Inracoatal Snowbirds

Postby tleath » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:28 am

All of this may have changed or will have changed by the time you come through South Carolina, but the Waccamaw and the Pee Dee Rivers both empty into the ICW and both flooded. The Waccamaw is still in flood stage but is receding slowly.

When I brought our boat back from Georgetown on Sunday, a 20 or so mile no-wake zone (idle speed with Coast Guard, DNR and Horry County police around every bend) ran from Barefoot Landing (M253) to Bucksport Marina (M27 7). The folks in the Socasstee area, just south of the Myrtle Beach, were hit hard. The Socasstee Swing bridge was closed for nearly a week, holding up the southern migration of boats. By the way, the bridge is pronounced Soc-Ass-Tee, not So-Cass-Tee.

Between current (Waccamaw flows northward; Pee Dee flows southward) and the no-wake zone, my trip took several hours longer than normal.

We saw very little in the way of floating debri (outside the normal logs that you typically see), but that could certainly change as the Waccamaw continues to recede.

Good luck in your trip south.

Tom
MANAGING
tleath
Supporting Member