Ammarine 6404 injectors

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Ammarine 6404 injectors

Postby capnjack6 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:42 pm

I am thinking of pulling all injectors { bosch 21 mm kdl?} and having them checked for "pop" by Everglades injector here in Ft Lauderdale. Survey noted white smoke and fuel from exhaust. Recommended usual inspect and correct. So now Im ready. Question I have, is removal and replace something I should tackle. 60 years experience on boats and yachts but Im an injector novice. Everglades quoted $15 to test for pop and $121 for new. Any advice. BTW Island Rover is a 1976 CL 42 I have been refitting in Ft Lauderdale,hull # 488.
capnjack6

Re: Ammarine 6404 injectors

Postby Imaginethat » Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 pm

There are not difficult to remove... unless they're stuck. There are pullers available (try searching for pencil injector puller, John Deere 4020 if you need to narrow it down). Definitely get new return line connection boots. The injection shop should have them, and can recommend whether the injector seals need to be replaced. The spring clamps on the return boots are a bit of a bugger to remove and replace... may want to pick up some extras of those, too, since they have a habit of leaving the immediate vicinity in a hurry. Someone probably makes pliers specifically for those springs...
1974 GB 36 Classic #467 "Imagine That"
Bellingham, WA
Imaginethat

Postby Imaginethat » Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 pm

And don't overtighten the fuel lines!
1974 GB 36 Classic #467 "Imagine That"
Bellingham, WA
Imaginethat

Postby capnjack6 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:59 am

I've been out of town for a bit so just read your advice. THanks! Also duly noted about spring clamps. I ground a pair of needle nose to help with their installation.
capnjack6

Postby Tom H » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:55 am

Mine is 1976 GBCL 482. Had my injectors replaced when I blew a head gasket on my 6404 Ammarine (starboard side). Got extra connection boots and they came in handy when one cracked and leaked fuel a few years later. Fifteen minute repair vs. a week waiting for parts. :D I mentioned the head gasket because the original box heat exchanger rusted inside and developed a small hole that allowed raw water to leak into my #6 cylinder. Boom!!! when I tried to start. Very expensive repair that could have been avoided had I been doing a better job inspecting.
When removing and replacing injectors don't force or bend anything and get the hose clamp pliers for the clamps, makes things a lot easier.
Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom H
Supporting Member