Rudder Replacement

A good place to post & find information on miscellaneous stuff

Rudder Replacement

Postby wizard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello All,
We are in North Carolina, travelling to our home base in Charleston, and had a run-in with hurricane Dorian, which resulted in a broken rudder on our '91 GB classic. Twin engines.
She has been hauled, and although the rudder is almost cracked in two, I think the boatyard can use stainless patching plates that are through bolted to each other, to get us back on the water. The boatyard would have to outsource a new rudder fabrication, which could take weeks, which we just don't have.
Once home, a new rudder could be fabricated, but I assume that the fabricator would need our rudder post to do that, which keeps us out of the water for an extended period. And we live aboard. The hole for the rudder post could be sealed, and the boat relaunched, awaiting the new rudder. But then there would be yet another haul out.
It seems that the best approach would be to located a used rudder. Am I correct in assuming that the starboard and the port rudders and integrated posts are the same? Does anyone have any leads for a used rudder?

Mike
615-804-9031
wizard

Re: Rudder Replacement

Postby GB42-267 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Which model GB, and do you have fiberglass or bronze rudders?
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby wizard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:59 am

As stated, its a 1991 "classic". Twin engines, with fiberglass rudders.
wizard

Postby GB42-267 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm

A classic what 36 or 42 ? I have two complete bronze rudders with 1-1/2" integrated rudder stocks from a classic 42. One Port side and the other for Stbd side if you're interested. They are heavy, approximately 115 lbs each.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member