Foam replacement on generator sound shield.

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Foam replacement on generator sound shield.

Postby Tom H » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:40 pm

The two removable sound shield panels on the sides of my Onan 9 kw generator have 1" sound deadening foam that is deteriorating. Is there a particular type of foam that can take the heat and exposure to oil and salt water on the interior of the sound shield that I should look for?
Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Re: Foam replacement on generator sound shield.

Postby Chesapeake » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Tom, I've used Soundown Acoustic Foam. Spendy, but it holds up.
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member

Postby Paul Headland » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Just done that on my 11Kw Onan. Used "Quietlife 23mm Soundproofing with Polymeric Barrier & White Cloth". Rather than glue or self adhesive I bolted it to the panels using large plastic washers with the nuts inside. I like the white cloth, makes it brighter inside when only one side cover is removed & seems quite tough.

Very pleased, makes the panels heavier though.
Paul
Paul Headland
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Thank you for the prompt and informative post. Found both products on the internet. Need to make a decision but leaning toward Soundown Acoustic Foam since I found it at Defender, which is close to where my boat is.
Best regards

Tom Hansen

1976 42' GBC #482

"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Postby Gordon Seattle » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:30 pm

I replaced the foam insulation on my Northern Lights generator enclosure earlier this year using a composite foam product available at Fisheries Supply. Here's the product description from Fisheries:

"This is a foam noise barrier with an internal layer of extra dense vinyl for superior sound absorption.
It provides an effective treatment for airborne noise radiating from engines, and other machinery by absorbing sound, as well as reflecting it back into the engine compartment.

The standard composite consists of a layer of mass-loaded vinyl sandwiched between two layers of polyether fire retardant open-cell foam covered by a thin, mylar silver vapor barrier facing."

I got the kind with an adhesive backing and stuck it on the panels of the enclosure. Hard part of job was getting all the old adhesive off the panels so I had a clean surface to stick the new foam to. A lot of scraping and used a fairly heavy duty liquid adhesive remover to dissolve and loosen it up.
Gordon Seattle
Supporting Member

Postby Fboykin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 am

I replaced the foam on my Westerbeke sound shield 3 years ago. I used products from Dynamat.com. Great stuff! Definitely made a big difference and stuff has stayed put just fine. Boat is in Ft. Myers and shield gets pretty hot in the summer. I used Dynamat Xtreme as the first layer, followed by their Hoodliner product and their special reflective tape on any seams. It has worked extremely well!! Product is available on Amazon. Dynamat.com. As others posted, you do need to remove old glue. My panels were a mess - rusty spots, foam crumbling, etc. They look super nice now.
Fboykin